On Nov 9, 2011, at 19:50 , G.Sørtun wrote:

> On 09.11.2011 19:51, mem wrote:
>
>> Question A) What unit should we use ? I've seen on some sites the
>> option for "max-width: 100%" I've seen max-width defined with: em;
>> I've seen it with px;
>
> To make a flexible layout play well across the increasing spread of large and
> small screens/devices, I often start out with the following "mix" for main
> container...
>
>    "width: 99%; min-width: 560px; max-width: 76em;"
>
> ...which makes reasonably good use of available window-width without becoming
> too wide or too narrow. Modifying these values along with other layout
> details at both "ends" and at certain intermediate window-widths for capable
> browsers in a small number of mediaqueries, for improved results.

Sorry for not saying this earlier. I'm not taking into consideration handled
devices nor netbooks and mobiles.
Only pc and laptop monitors.
I understand that this *only* is... weird. Anyway.

a) The layout is planned for a given minimal resolution (1024), centered.
b) If the user has a very wide screen and very hight resolution the layout
should not stretch to much.
c) If the user has a low resolution and a 14'' monitor the layout should not
present and absurd horizontal scroll.
d) The layout should keep (the best we can) their proportions.

For d) we will use em or % or a mix. Ok.

For c) we can make use of min-width so that it shrinks to (750px) but not more
than that.

For b) we would have to make use of max-width - so that, even if the user as
very large screen the layout will not stretch to much to the sides.

*For a) I don't see what can we do.*

I mean if we have something like:

#container {
 margin: 0 auto;
 max-width: 1260px;
 min-width: 780px;
}

it will assume the max-width value as width correct ?

If so, how can I declare those base 60em as stated on a) ?

Please… be patient. :)

Note:
Sorry about the test case not being here, I can do that but with a considerable
amount of time, since I'm working locally with no proper ftp connection or
shared host service to upload; I know that we all have some web services
solutions quite handy for testing .css, js and html mix, but, unfortunately,
those don't allow us to text page zoom that is a major concern here. I will
configure that, and see if I use it more often in the future.
I still however have, some theoretical questions do clear. :)