For this question sake, it was never in question if I would prefer to use a px
or a em based layout.
By taking a look into David L. website, I can see one can use px, % and no unit
if we know what we are doing with such a precision. I'm not on that level. :)

So,

1) The font-size on the html will be declared as 100%;
2) I will never apply the font-size on any container (other then html), and I
will strictly use it on p, span, anchors labels, and other "close to text"
elements (not sure how to call this group);

Felix as pointed out that rem would be better then em. He has not specified
but, after some reading here and there, it seems that, the issue relies on the
fact that, if we use em, we will have a so called "compounding effect" and the
same will NOT occur with rem;

Also, I've been told that if I choose to use .em for margins and paddings, I
may have issues if, for example, I wish to place, side by side, a p and a h1 by
doing:

p, h1 {
 padding-left: 10em;
}

Since I will not get the same horizontal space as one could expected when doing
this rule. (because h1 has a bigger font then p);

By looking on the layout I have in hands, I believe I would never have this
scenario.

Is there any other pitfall that we should be aware of when adoption such a
position ?

By taking this example here:
http://cssdesk.com/PBbWK

I have two questions:

1) Let's suppose I would drop the em for margin and padding, what values in %
should I place there instead to preserv the same look and feel ?

2) I'm trying to stress test a little and see the so called compounding effect
- but no luck so far. What am I missing? (yes I want to provoke it so that, if
it arrives during the development I can deal with it.)

Thanks again,
mem