Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

I find that an odd formulation, since _no_ letter is 1em wide.

On what basis do you claim that, Jukka ?  Surely not even you
have had time to measure every glyph in every font that has ever
been invented ... !
But that’s not the most common common misconception;
people think that em is the width of the _capital_ letter ‘M’.

I think if you replace "is" by "was", it may well be
a valid assertion : Knuth wrote (TB, p.~60) "In olden
days, an 'em' was the width of an 'M', but this is no
longer true; ems are simply arbitrary units that come
with a font, and so are exes".

Philip Taylor