On 2012/01/24 18:31 (GMT-0700) Paceaux composed:

geeze, this morning I thought I knew this stuff.  Now I'm lost.

I wasn't thinking that  the em or the ex stretched the glyph. I understand
that the font-size constructs a square out of the measurement, regardless
of the type of measurement.

assuming an "m" is 16px wide but 10px tall, it's total space up on the
screen is 16sqr pixels, right? That just means that visually, there's more
vertical space in the 16 sqr px. Right?

A typical em box is much closer to a 2X1 rectangle than a square, making the average 16px glyph roughly 8px wide nominally, less visibly, in both directions.

assuming the inverse measurements are true, the total space is still 16sqr
px, right?

16x8=128px is roughly what is available to draw the average 16px glyph, not the square of the em height.

 These two questions are why I would adjust either line-height
or letter-spacing by "ex"; to compensate for disproportionate visual
space.

Note that line-height can be specified unitless, and the units used or not can make a big difference: http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/line-height-inherit.html

So my question now is the difference between "em" and "ex". Is "em" a
horizontal measurement and "ex" a vertical? I get that font-size will make
both of them a square, but are they relative to x and y axes,
respectively?

I thought Phillipe's response would have been sufficient. Apparently not.

Stop thinking of vertical, horizontal and square as limitations or requirements, particularly square. Both em and ex are lengths appropriate for specifying lengths and widths independently. The length of an em equals the nominal height of a character box, which is likely only square for limited number western glyphs that are unusually wide, plus probably a whole bunch of CJK glyphs.

Maybe something from http://dbaron.org/css/test/ like http://dbaron.org/css/fonts/sizes/variants and/or http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/widths-em-v-px.html would help you visualize and understand meaning and usage.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/