Years ago I read a book on typography and it didn't click until today that the
"em" isn't strictly a horizontal measurement in CSS.  I'd never thought that
hard about it until today. I was naturally concluding that "em "was a
horizontal measurement and "ex" was vertical - and that either could be used as
relative measurements.  I'd never thought otherwise until today.

I read the CSS2 spec this afternoon,  and learned that the em is really an "em
square" and the square is how font-size is determined.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/fonts.html

So out of new-found ignorance, I have questions:

1. If em is really the "em square", and ex is strictly an "x", then am I right
to conclude there is not a relative horizontal measurement?
2. Since the em is a square,  width of the glyph affects line-height, right?
3. Since "ex" isn't an "ex square", body{font-size: 2ex}   sets the width of
the glyph's the same as its height, correct?
4. Is this the reason that body{line-height: 2ex} is shorter than
body{line-height: 1em}?

Since font-size is always a square, then "em" seems appropriate when the
typeface is more squared. Therefore:
1. If the typeface is wider than it is tall, it seems that I should use
body{line-height: 2ex} rather than body{line-height: 1em} or
body{line-height:1}.
2. If the typeface is taller than it is wide, then it  seems that I should
use{letter-spacing:-.5ex}

This morning I totally understood font-sizing. Now I don't know anything.
Please share any insights you have.

</email>
<signature id="paceaux">
   Frank M Taylor