On 7/28/12 9:45 AM, Georg wrote:
On 28.07.2012 17:48, David Hucklesby wrote:
There's another alternative that lets you retain the white-space in the
HTML, which is to use a font-size of zero on some container, and
restore the font-size on the paragraphs with a value other than EMs or
percents.

Have you checked how white-space in such an arrangement is handled in
browsers with 'minimum font size' set, 'font size ignored' or font-size
overridden ?

[...]

Now you made me double-check. :)

In Webkit, I can only find a minimum font size setting. (Safari; Chrome)??

In Firefox, there's an additional "Allow pages to choose their own fonts"
checkbox. Normally this is set, so I tried toggling it. No problem.

In IE I only have 6,7, and 8 available now. These have "Accessibility"
options as you describe. Only the "Ignore font sizes set on webpages" option
causes this method to fail completely.

In 6 and 7, there is an extra one pixel gap. Easily fixed with a -1px margin-right. { *margin-right: -1px; }

All other tests with minimum font size set, or other text size settings work
fine in all modern browsers. (Firefox tested back to version 3.0.)

So, yes. Not perfect. But I can only find the one edge case that can't be
fixed. (IE's "Ignore font sizes...") Can you please point to cases I missed?

(Thanks for challenging my assumptions.)
--
Cordially,
David