On 10/17/12 7:27 AM, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

> E {
>     display: inline-block;
>     float: left;
> /* .. more .. */
> }
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#dis-pos-flo

I'm a bit at sea too... I smell a poor understanding of document flow. Assuming that those rules have width values set, I reckon it's down to a failure to refactor, like so:

1.  Attempt during prototyping to get some crop of
    inline elements to behave like replaced elements.
2.  Fail and fiddle, eventually settling on a width/
    float/clear solution.  If at first you don't
    succeed...
3.  Exult in triumph and put the site into
    production in due course.
4.  Neglect stylesheet refactoring thenceforth.

For a heap of reasons, I reckon none of us are complete strangers to #4.

At least half - and probably more like 70% - of my clients would ream me if I broke out refactoring as an invoice line item. The second sigma would listen to my explanation then ultimately take the confident gibberish as evidence that I know what I'm doing what I was paid to do, and the third would make a point of bringing it up during the requirements gathering phase.

--
Ben Henick              lurker...@henick.net
Sitebuilder At-Large    t:@bhenick