Eric A. Meyer <e...@meyerweb.com> a écrit :

>   I have a vague memory that maybe this was a way to ensure you triggered
> hasLayout in some versions of IE.

Hmm, both display: inline block and float:left (or right) trigger 'hasLayout'
as far back as IE 5.

Ben Henick <lurker...@henick.net> a écrit :

> …
> 2.  Fail and fiddle, eventually settling on a width/
>    float/clear solution.  If at first you don't
>    succeed...
> 3.  Exult in triumph and put the site into
>    production in due course.
> 4.  Neglect stylesheet refactoring thenceforth.

yeah, that is the one possible explanation I could come up with.

Susanne Jäger <susjae...@sujag.de> a écrit :

> perhaps a variation of the display: inline; cure against the double-margin
> bug in older IEs.
> <http://positioniseverything.net/explorer/doubled-margin.html>

Duh, possible… I had forgotten about that bug :-p. Although it baffles me why
one would leave that in a stylesheet unfiltered while there are other instances
of IE 6/7 filters in said stylesheet.

--------

Thanks for the insights; in short: no there is no specific hack or filter in
that combo.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh