Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

In a stylesheet that I’ve temporarily inherited I see multiple times the
following code (and the stylesheet is otherwise reasonably well written):

E {
        display: inline-block;
        float: left;
/* .. more .. */
}

Afaict, those are all applied to inline elements, no width is specified. On the
face of it, that code is completely non-sensical (float will make the element
display: block anyway – CSS 2.1:9.7 [1]).

The question: does anyone recognizes this as some kind of hack for whatever
browser ? I wouldn’t know what the benefit is, though.

perhaps a variation of the display: inline; cure against the double-margin bug in older IEs. <http://positioniseverything.net/explorer/doubled-margin.html>

greetings
Susanne

--