Hi Philip,

If you could get into the proprietary code to (presumably) remove the
offending property, I wouldn't call that "hacking".

But, as many have said here in other threads, the validator is a
guideline, not a law. We know what the purpose of zoom is and
subsequently why your code isn't validating. I personally would be
able to live with that.

Just my 2¢...

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Philip TAYLOR <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Wishing (as always) to keep my sites 100% W3C standards compliant,
> I am stuck with a bad property in proprietary code.  The offending
> rule reads :
>
>         .qmmc {position:relative;zoom:1;}
>
> and so (rather naively) I inserted a later rule in my local
> customisations that reads :
>
>         .qmmc {position:relative}
>
> Unfortunately (of course) the Validator still barfs on the earlier
> entry.  If it had been a bad property value such as "position:
> sideways", I am reasonably confident that a subsequent re-definition
> as "position: relative" would have been fine, in that (presumably but
> not certainly) the validator evaluates the cascade before deciding
> which rules to validate (is this assertion true ?), but given that
> it is not a bad property value but a bad property, is there nothing
> I can do short of hacking proprietary code to make this site valid ?
>
> Philip Taylor

Tom Livingston | Senior Interactive Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com