2013-06-27 9:15, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

Technically, if you wish to have such settings as a global default for your pages, setting
them on <body> rather than <html> is the way to go.

Again, Why?

Because it sets the properties directly on the highest-level element where they might have some effect, rather than affecting indirectly via inheritance. Inheritance is the most widely misunderstood concept in CSS and causes surprises even to those who understand it in principle. And in practice, inheritance is prevented whenever there is *any* style sheet that sets a property on an element that would otherwise inherit it.

That is basically the question raised by the OP.

Is it? The question said just "I have no idea what things ought to be inside the html selector."

> 'Simpler' is not exactly a good or well reasoned argument.

Other things being equal, it is. And in the CSS context, simplicity is a strong argument, especially here, since it helps to avoid both conceptual and practical problems.

(I would nitpick on the use of 'px' for font-size, but that is another subject)

It's not nitpicking at all, but indeed another subject, as are other issues in the settings. The question was which properties should be set on the <html> element.

Yucca