On Tuesday 2013-08-27 14:05 +0900, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
> I'm absolutely not clear why the percentage based animation actually works in
> Firefox (and incidentally, Presto based Opera 12.x). And Eric notes it
> doesn't seem to work in IE 11 (and IE 10?). That seems correct per spec to
> me. That is pure CSS 2.1:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#position-props
>
> specifically:
> >
> > Percentages:        refer to height of containing block
>
> In the test case, the height of the containing block (.wrapper2) has a value
> of 'auto', which means that 'top' can't be computed.

Many of the other references in the CSS spec to things that are
based on the height of the containing block explicitly say that if
the containing block's computed height is 'auto', then the
percentage is as well.  See, for example:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#the-height-property
  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#min-max-heights

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#position-props , however,
does not say that, and you shouldn't infer it from the same thing
being stated elsewhere.

The working group explicitly decided *not* to change this in 2009;
see:
http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-134
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0056.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Aug/0092.html