We can't expect every engineering team to interpret *fluid* standards in
the same way.  Progress is being made by the vendors; it may be due to
competition, developer up roars, increasing cooperation between vendors on
working towards standardization, better engineers, or something else, but
it can't be denied that progress is being made.

If my boss' wife (or one of my freelance clients husbands) views one of our
sites on a 2005 laptop and shows him what it looks like in IE7 I don't
think "You'll have to file a bug report with Microsoft to get that fixed"
is going to fly.  I'd rather keep my company and my client happy by
adding/modifying/deleting a couple lines of CSS while in the back of my
head i *know* that things are getting better.  Rather than "stick it to the
man", I would encourage everyone to file a bug report, make your client
happy, and move on to the next project.

We'll all be sitting around drinking beer and talking about, "Do you
remember when we could use the grid module in IE but not Chrome? Those were
some rough days!"

Just my 2 cents.

(I failed to reply-all on this)

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Philip Taylor <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Tom Livingston wrote:
>
> > I should have mentioned that the inline font styling we do is
> > generally set on the <td> tag. With the possible need to repeat on
> > elements inside the <td> such as <li>s, but it's been a bit since I
> > was in an email so I'm not remembering it all.
> >
> > Above all, test, test, and then test.
> >
> > We use emailonacid.com, and I know there are other similar tools.
>
> Tom, you have a living to earn, and I am sure that many will sympathise
> with your wish to keep your clients happy by fiddling and faffing with
> the HTML and CSS until it render perfectly in every so-called
> smart'phone, tablet, and whatever the next generation of chip-based
> must haves will be called.  But do you not also feel that by so doing,
> you are making life easier for the manufacturer's at the expense of your
> own time, and everybody else's ?  All the while developers such as
> your good self are prepared to pander to and mollycoddle half-baked
> immature technology, there is no pressure at all on the manufacturers
> to get their acts together and design their toys so that they are
> standards-compliant.  Would we (the HTML/CSS authoring community) not
> do far better to stand together and to say to the manufacturers
> "We code to W3C standards; if your toys can't render it properly,
> employ /real/ programmers and get them fixed" ?
>
> Philip Taylor

Chris Rockwell