Good responses. Thank you all.  This has helped me clarify the issues.

I have yet to design a site phones first, from the ground up. I'm currently
busy trying to retrofit a few older ones. I am discovering I want to send
different markup down the pipe--however--rather than media query CSS edits
to the same markup.

But that has to be done with server side codes that rely on a double GET
for the first request, so a cookie can be set. Then you can send fewer
images, different images and different markup, all matched with its own
custom CSS.

--
/*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */