I started out wanting to ask a question along the lines of "How can I
set things up so that if a user has a font locally, it will be used, but
if not, download it as a webfont?", but that was all of a sudden
obvious: the usual method of setting up a font stack, e.g.,

font-family: preferred-local-font, web-font;

This does bring up questions that may be browser/platform dependent, and
may give me second thoughts about doing this:

1. In this sort of situation, is the webfont unconditionally downloaded,
   or is it ignored unless/until actually needed?

2. If I use a character/characters that don't have glyphs defined in the
   first font of a stack, will the next font in the stack (that does
   have the glyph) be used for that character, or will some
   client/system default font be used, or will I just see the symbol for
   "I don't have that glyph"?

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

edi...@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)