Here is an old article on z-index which may provide some insight:
http://yagudaev.com/posts/getting-reliable-z-index-cross-browser/

Specifically:

*Another problem is that if the element has no z-index, but its container
does, the z-index returned would be auto in all browsers other than IE7,
which returns 0. To deal with this situation we need to specify that the
z-index should be inherited from the container. We do this by saying
z-index: inherit, which will solve our problems in most browsers. IE7
proves to be different, luckly it is different enough that we can write a
simple if statement to check if the value returned is zero, if it is, get
the value from the parent.*

Chris Rockwell