-Caveat Lector-

Thank you for the excellent post.  Here in North Dakota, the agricultural
community is hurting thanks to a number of stupid government policies...
NAFTA and the Republican "Freedom to Farm" bill...  The wheat growers are
particularly angry at Canadian dumping of wheat on this side of the
border...

Out in the western half of the state ( posse comitatus-militia country),
the beef industry still holds sway....  The cattle industry plays hell
with the environment...and the aquifer is being pumped out..

As the family farms go under, many of the farm people find themselves
targeted by white supremacist groups....   Here in Fargo, every Monday
night, the local community can watch "The White Hour of Power Show,"
hosted by one of our homegrown Aryan types. This individual is proud of
his brownshirt and swastika... His theme song for the program is a
scratchy old recording of an SS anthem, the Horst Wessel Song.  In the
western half of the state, Tom Metzger has been able to gain access to the
local airwaves in order to capitalize on the anger in the heartland.
Scary stuff..

Re: American Indian hunting practices.  Native Americans were smart enough
to realize that it wasn't a good idea to exhaust the resources of the
environment.  The buffalo was the Native American equivalent to a
supermarket... every part of the animal was used by the plains people..
Waste not...want not...  Personally, I'm a vegetarian.  Years ago, not
having my college degree, finding myself out of work in a strange city, I
was hired on at a meatpacking plant.  I lasted three months... and that
experience changed me...
I agree with the author of this post.  We need
to move towards a more humane and environmentally sound policy like
getting our protein needs from soy beans and grain...  Plus, think about
the needless destruction to our water supplies...  (and think about the
people who have to slaughter the animals for a living, just so you can
have your supply of burgers....)....  Try a veggie burger..they're great!
:)
Regards,
Wm