-Caveat Lector-

William Hugh Tunstall wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Thank you for the excellent post.  Here in North Dakota, the agricultural
> community is hurting thanks to a number of stupid government policies...
> NAFTA and the Republican "Freedom to Farm" bill...  The wheat growers are
> particularly angry at Canadian dumping of wheat on this side of the
> border...

The wheat consumers -- such as I -- are particularly angry at the US Govm't for
subsidizing farmers and paying them NOT to grow wheat... However, I hasten point out
that I disbelieve you when you say that Canadians are "dumping" wheat in the United
States... Why would they do that?  Seems like they would sell it to Americans.  And if
Amercians are buying Canadian wheat rather than American wheat, doesn't it make you
wonder why?  Could it be that they are selling it at a price MOST Americans would
rather pay?  Why should I subsidize a North Dakota farmer who's trying to rip me off
by charging higher prices than the Canadians?

> Out in the western half of the state ( posse comitatus-militia country), the beef
> industry still holds sway....  The cattle industry plays hell with the
> environment...

There's an interesting idea.... Who's "environment?"  Chances are it is land owned by
the United States government, and leased to the cattle rancher.  If the govm't would
sell all the land it owns, it could wipe out the national debt.  Did you know that the
U.S. govm't owns MORE LAND west of the Mississippi than there IS LAND east of that
mighty river?  Why should the govm't own all that land in the first place?

> As the family farms go under, many of the farm people find themselves targeted by
> white supremacist groups....

If they are "going under," what are they being targeted for?  Family farms are "going
under" primarily because of govm't programs that encourage stupid economics, which has
little to do with white supremacist groups, which don't know any economics.

> Re: American Indian hunting practices.  Native Americans were smart enough
> to realize that it wasn't a good idea to exhaust the resources of the environment.

They were also stupid enough not to realize the value of personal ownership of wealth,
and the productive power of capitalism... After all, that's why they were living in
tents and barely subsisting... "Hunters and gatherers" don't have any capital to carry
them over in hard times (such as a bad hunting season).  "Tribal mentality" is the
same as "slave mentality," which isn't known to result in creation of wealth and
prosperity.

> The buffalo was the Native American equivalent to a supermarket... every part of the
> animal was used by the plains people.. Waste not...want not...

I think most of them "wanted" most of the time... Because they were non-producers,
they suffered the same fate as so-called "over-populated" countries... ie being
destitute most of the time.

> We need to move towards a more humane and environmentally sound policy like
> getting our protein needs from soy beans and grain...

If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat.

> Plus, think about the needless destruction to our water supplies...

There's about the same amount of water in the world as there has been for several
centuries.  All we can do with it is try to move it from place to place, and even
then, it isn't usually very cooperative.

> (and think about the people who have to slaughter the animals for a living, just so
> you can have your supply of burgers....)....

WoW!  What a brilliant statement!  In case you haven't learned this, those people
aren't slaughtering animals "so I can have hamburgers."  They don't give a damn if I
EVER have a hamburger... They don't even know me... In my opinion, they are
slaughtering animals so THEY can have what THEY want -- most of which costs money,
which they earn by slaughtering animals.

> Try a veggie burger..they're great!

No thanks... I need to keep my cholesterol count high... the govm't says it should be
low, and they lie about everything.

Hawk