-Caveat Lector-

-----Original Message-----
From: Teo One Thousand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
><< I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I don't care if this
>IS rocket science...if they were running a for-profit business they
>would have all been canned years ago.
>>>
>Could not agree more.  Whatever NASA does will always be in question
>to me. Their origins are peculiar and the people who made up the
>agency when it was first put together are a who's who of nazi's
>and quasi-religious crackpots.

"Nothing is ever accomplished by a 'reasonable' person." --unk.

But I digress.  Were a private, for-profit concern to have the
resources available to conduct a space program, that business
would be as wealthy and powerful as the greatest nation-states,
and would be even *less* amenable to oversight than is NASA.
Imagine spaceflight dominated by a firm with all the compassion
& openness of Microsoft, AT&T, and the People's Rep. of China.

And since the long-term survival of the human species depends
on our getting off-planet before we destroy the biosphere, it's
good that SOME "nazi's and quasi-religious crackpots" managed
to get govt's interested in spaceflight, even if only as a by-
product of ICBM development and the quest for world domination.

  Ric "how fan can you trust an altruist?" Carter

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
*
*** SkeptiChat: sliding down the razor-blade of life ***
now featuring SkeptiNews: All The News That's Fit To Question
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]