-Caveat Lector-

You have been sent this message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] as a courtesy of the
Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com

 To view the entire article, go to
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46120-2002Dec27.html

 Bush's Moonshine Policy

 By Mary McGrory
   George W. Bush ends the year with a genuine nuclear crisis on his hands. He has
been assiduously trying to foment one with Iraq, dropping bombs on the country and
expletives on its leader. But North Korea, which is not just suspected of working on
the bomb but of having at least two, has muscled Saddam Hussein off the front pages
and made our crusade against Baghdad seem crass: We're starting a war not just for oil
or for Ariel Sharon but because we can win it.

  North Korea is a different story. It has a million men under arms. It has a built-in
hostage situation at hand in the presence of 37,000 U.S. soldiers who guard South
Korea. Kim Jong Il, the Communist leader of North Korea, almost makes Saddam Hussein
look like Rotarian of the Year. While Hussein is welcoming U.N. arms inspectors, Kim
is throwing them out. He has dismantled the international surveillance equipment
installed by a treaty in 1994; he has announced he is going to make all the
weapons-grade plutonium he wants. He is, in short, behaving like the radioactive
lunatic he is.

  And what is George W. Bush, defender of the free world, scourge of terrorists, doing
about all this? As of this moment, nothing.

  As far as we can see, he seems to feel that not speaking to the North Koreans is the
solution. "Isolation" and "marginalization" will bring these rogues to heel? A leader
who will starve his own people to feed his military machine, whose father invaded his
neighbor, who shows no acquaintance with reality, will be cowed by a snub from
Washington?

  The president has asked North Korea's neighbors to warn Kim Jong Il of the
consequences of his horrendous behavior. Up to now, the Japanese have reported
themselves as scared to death. Russia and China seem to have a million other things to
do. The incoming chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Richard Lugar
(R-Ind.), says we should "talk and talk and talk" to the outlaws. His is a lone voice.

  Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld exhibited a reflex swagger response. The North
Koreans better watch out. They mustn't think for a minute we couldn't wage war against
them. Just in time for Christmas, he brought our war list up to three -- the one
against al Qaeda, which we seem to have forgotten, the one brewing in Iraq -- and now
Pyongyang?

  We should perhaps remember that President Bush has never liked talking to Koreans.
His first overseas visitor was the estimable Kim Dae Jung, whom Bush snubbed.

  Bush, as he was eager to demonstrate, was not a fan. Kim's sin? He was instituting a
sunshine policy with the North, ending a half-century of estrangement. Bush, who
looked upon North Korea as the most potent argument for his obsession to build a
national missile defense, saw Kim, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, as nothing but trouble.
He sent him home humiliated and empty-handed.

  Kim's successor, Roh Moo Hyun, may be even worse. He is a passionate advocate of the
sunshine policy, and he seeks "a more mature relationship" with the United States --
bad news for Bush.

  This ugly international set-to occurs just when the president has scored his most
dazzling domestic political triumph. The hullabaloo over Trent Lott, the prospective
leader of the Senate, was caused by Lott's letting the cat out of the bag on the
subject of the Republicans' covert Southern strategy. Lott told a birthday party for
Strom Thurmond what everyone has always known: The strategy was based on race.
Republicans were mortified.

 Then Bush apprentice Karl Rove stepped in and saved the day. Bush and Rove engineered
Lott's resignation and the substitution of glamorous Bill Frist of Tennessee,
literally a medicine man, who spends his off-time flying his own plane to Africa to
minister to AIDS patients. Bush issued a sharp criticism of Lott's remarks and
nourished the Frist boomlet into a surge, all the while insisting through his
spokesman that he did not think Lott should resign.

  Republicans are delighted. In an assembly largely given over to small minds and big
egos, Frist's aura as a healer and his proclivity for rendering first aid on Capitol
Hill make him a romantic figure. It's like getting Lord Byron on your condo board.

  The finesse of the operation was universally applauded. The qualities displayed --
the regard for the other guy's sensibilities, the willingness to forgo credit, are
ones that can be successful in foreign policy negotiations. Bush could never send
Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton to represent him in the deadly and proliferating tension
in North Korea -- he blames them for coddling Pyongyang. But he might send Karl Rove.
He knows how the game is played.