-Caveat Lector-

Colleen Jones wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Get the album - rather expensive, get it, tape it, and return it....The
> Ring  - Wagners Ring......the beautiful Tannhauser, and the ride of the
> Valkyreis; now my spelling is off here......this beautiful music is
> always reserved for the super rich, while our children are fed garbage.
>
> occasionally public services shows part of it, but the movie Meeting
> Venus shows the traumatic effect the works of Richard Wagner had on the
> people of Germany....to me it is probably the most beautiful creation in
> this history of music; however, I do like offenbach's Orpheus in the
> Underworld......Offenbach, was a Russian jew, who wrote the French Can
> Can.
>
> In the works of Richrd Wagner,  one sees beauty and power and well, get
> the album.

Just ran across a couple of Wagner jokes that I thought might be of
interest. I have seen a movie of Parsifal and have listened to it many
times on records and CDs. It is one of my favorites, but I know that
many don't enjoy his work as much as I.

Also, I might mention that I once heard his granddaughter speak. This
was about 30 years ago and she was fairly old at the time. I think her
name was Winnefred. She spoke of the relationship of her grandfather's
music to the Nazis and how much of her family had supported Hitler. She,
however, said that she thought that the "Ring" was symbolic of the Nazis
in that at the end greed destroyed the gods. In fact, the last music the
Berlin Philharmonic played at the end of WW2 was from the "Twilight of
the Gods".

"Parsifal - the kind of opera that starts at six o'clock and after it has
been going three hours, you look at your watch and it says 6:20." --
David Randolph

"One can't judge Wagner's opera Lohengrin after a first hearing, and I
certainly don't intend hearing it a second time." -- Gioacchino Rossini