-Caveat Lector-

thanks, C. for the interesting response.

In the land of the free and the home of the brave, it's obvious from your
account that one's name can accidentally get on a government list, then
you're in for it.

I'm pretty sure that the govt has info on me, just by virtue of my knowing
the "wrong" people at the "wrong" time (back in the sixties, when
Americans, in their innocence, still operated under the illusion that the
government exists to protect their interests).

During our anti-war meetings on campus, we used to joke that about half of
the assembled crowd were working for the government.  Of course, later,
some of the revelations about COINTELPRO came out...and our suspicions
were pretty much confirmed.

But in those days of yore, I was all of eighteen years of age and
idealistic as hell.  I had all of these idiotic notions that my government
would never engage in illegal activities, acts of thuggery, etc.

The wiser activists had their grim stories to relate, but many of us
dismissed their tales, thinking it was only just another manifestation of
the general paranoia. But we quickly learned. I think my initiation into
the evil ways of the world came when one of my friends, a black activist,
was beaten while in police custody in our town Bastille.  This incident
was followed by another black ops incident: another friend had the police
do a search of his apartment only "to discover" drugs.  The drugs had been
planted.  In terms of notoriety/importance, all of us were rather
unimportant actors on the great stage of life...but once we had the
audacity to resist the system, we placed ourselves in the position of
being enemies of the state--and whatever civil liberties we might possess,
were conveniently disregarded.

Our system has any number of different ways of discrediting/destroying
individuals. The tactics/techniques have been well-documented, of course.
So I tend to sympathize with all of those who have been on the receiving
end of these operations--regardless of their political/philosophical
sympathies.  In theory, we have civil liberties...but the reality is
something quite different.

But for those of us who were alive back in the sixties, many of us know
that the Kennedy assassination was a turning point of sorts for
the nation... a fork in the road that set the nation in a particularly
nasty direction.  We didn't know it at the time, but, in retrospect, we
crossed the Rubicon back then...and the National Security State went into
overdrive.