-Caveat Lector-

Yes, it seems that threats must constantly be created in order for the
global government to stay in operation.  Just about any threat can be
utilized to restrict the civil liberties of citizens.

For instance, we have the government's "war on drugs"--clearly, IF the
American government seriously wanted the drug trade to come to an end, it
would be eradicated.  But the illicit trade is integral to the economies
of both our latin american "trading partners" AND our national security
state.

With the passage of NAFTA, the drug flow could be more efficiently
micromanaged...  On a twenty-four hour basis, trucks are lined up at the
Mexican/US border crossing.  Few of them get inspected.  Just the sheer
number of trucks, the logistical nightmare of having to examine every
trailer, and the shortage of personnel means many trucks roll across
with a minimum inspection.

On the Mexican side, there are checkpoints on every major highway going in
and out of the interior of Mexico, which are manned by federales, Mexican
army units, state police, or local cops--all of this armed muscle is
supposedly in place in order to discourage narcotics traffickers, but the
local citizenry know they're there to keep complete chaos from breaking
out. (Mexico is virtually a police
state.)  The Mexican cops tend to shake down their own citizens, demanding
mordida (bribes)... It's just the way things are done in a police state.
Heaven help you if, as an American citizen, the cops just happen to
discover a drug in your vehicle!  While all of this intense scrutiny of
individual citizens is going on....the big narcotraficantes are cutting
their deals with their American counterparts, and major shipments of drugs
are carried across the border in trucks.

When NAFTA was being debated, there were a few rational voices of protest
raised.  Individuals who had firsthand experience with Mexican
political/economic institutions warned American legislators about what
would happen, but they were ignored.  The fix was in.  When the Salinas
family was revealed to have been involved in narcotics trafficking AND
political assassinations, none of this surprised anyone who has knowledge
of conditions down there.

Perhaps, the two countries (the US and Mexico) will eventually merge into
one big super cop state.  Badges? We don' need no steenkin badges!