-Caveat Lector-

Via SpinTechMag.CoM

> SpinTech: July 12, 1999
> <Picture>
>
> How The Constitution Aids Federal Power-Grabbers
> by Sunni Maravillosa
>
> Hologram of Liberty, by Kenneth Royce (AKA Boston T. Party)
> (Javelin Press, 1997) 229 pgs. ISBN # 1-888766-03-4
>
> At age five or so, I discovered that Santa Claus is a myth.
> Having been suspicious of the story for some time, that discovery
> did not shock me nearly as much as the realization that my
> parents -- whom I’d completely trusted up until then -- had lied
> to me. Thus began my tendency to be skeptical of nearly
> everything, and everybody. My skepticism has been lulled in
> certain areas by my public school indoctrination, most notably
> American history. Kenneth Royce’s book Hologram of Liberty has
> permanently changed that.
>
> Royce is better known as Boston T. Party, author of several
> libertarian books, including Bulletproof Privacy and Boston on
> Guns and Courage. In Hologram of Liberty, he examines the
> historical record surrounding the Constitutional Convention as
> well as the Constitution itself, and concludes that the primary
> reason for our current non-free condition is the Constitution
> itself -- it was not intended to preserve states’ or individuals’
> liberties, but to be a slow-working power-grabber for the federal
> government.
>
> Hologram of Liberty is not based on "patriot mythology", nor on
> minutiae or legalistic sleight-of-hand. Royce’s research is
> thorough and relies on many respected scholarly works. While some
> hypotheses leave more room for nagging questions than others, the
> essential points of his work are solidly grounded. As I was
> recently chastised for questioning the Constitution and its
> authors in an essay, Royce provides me with evidence that both
> deserve tighter scrutiny from libertarians than they’ve received.
>

> Let me say before going any further that Royce -- and I -- are
> not out to mindlessly bash the Constitution, nor to denigrate the
> founders of the United States. Royce states in Hologram of
> Liberty that he is "for true Liberty under a constitution"
> (emphasis in original). My motives overlap his in writing the
> book; in reviewing it, I want to share information and ideas, and
> spark further thought with the goal of creating a better, more
> freedom-respecting system of government. Given the current
> abysmal state of the American system, it is better to eye sacred
> cows critically -- and to slaughter them if necessary -- with the
> intent to improve the system rather than to fence them off
> worshipfully while tyranny grows.
>
> Royce focuses his attention on two primary areas: the men who
> wrote the Constitution; and the actual writing of the document.
> From each he builds his case in a clear, logical style that makes
> it easy to understand his points. He challenges all who claim to
> love liberty to set aside preconceived ideas and examine his
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.