-Caveat Lector-

> August 19, 1999
>
> The Strange Case of Ed Moloney
>

> Back in February of 1989 a Belfast lawyer called Pat Finucane was
> murdered by Protestant gunmen. Finucane was well-known for having
> defended members of the Irish Republican Army, and he'd had
> plenty of run-ins with police in the Royal Ulster Constabulary,
> also with the British Army. It was not long before credible
> accusations began to surface that both the RUC and the army had
> colluded with Finucane's killers, who belonged to the
> paramilitary Ulster Defense Association (UDA).
>
> One journalist who made spectacular headway in tracing state
> sponsorship of Finucane's murder was Ed Moloney, currently
> Northern editor of the Dublin-based Sunday Tribune. Down the
> years Moloney, now 50, has built up a fine reputation. He's been
> Northern Irish editor of the Irish Times and has contributed to
> the Guardian, BBC, the Washington Post and other publications.
> But because of his work in the aftermath of the Finucane killing,
> Moloney now faces the possibility of being thrown into prison for
> defying a court order to hand over working notes to the police.
> Unless his lawyers get the order thrown out, Moloney could be
> prosecuted under the Prevention of Terrorism Act, a statute
> rushed through the British Parliament in the mid-1970s, giving
> the police and courts even vaster summary powers than they
> normally enjoy. In this event he'll face a no-jury trial, as the
> first journalist to be prosecuted in such a way. He could be
> given an unlimited fine, plus anywhere from six months to five
> years in prison. Or he could be convicted of contempt of court,
> and given an unlimited prison sentence.
>
> Why would the security forces and judicial apparatus of Northern
> Ireland want to risk international condemnation for their
> onslaught on a journalist? The reasons are devious, part of a
> desperate attempt to salvage the reputation of these same
> security forces, most notably the RUC.
>
> After Finucane's murder in 1989, Moloney conducted a series of
> lengthy interviews with William Stobie, a quartermaster in the
> Protestant paramilitary group responsible for the killing. Stobie
> told Moloney that he was an agent working for the RUC and had
> given the RUC advance notice of the operation that ultimately led
> to the murder of Finucane. As quartermaster, Stobie had provided
> the killers with their weapons.
>
> Stobie volunteered this information to Moloney on condition that
> it not be published, since its disclosure would endanger his
> life. He told Moloney he wanted his account on record in case
> anything happened to him. He said that his RUC Special Branch
> handlers regarded him as a loose cannon and were setting him up
> for assassination by his loyalist colleagues. He also claimed
> that the RUC Special Branch had planted guns in his home, and
> indeed he had been charged with possession. But after Stobie
> threatened that he would reveal in court that he had forewarned
> [...]

Foregoing from www.counterpunch.com

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.