-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990917d - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No bible texts were decoded to produce this bulletin. I didn't even try.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Robots To Fight Wars In The Future. SHEFFIELD, England (Reuters) - Future
  wars could be fought by robots commanded by humans. Within 5 years, "we
  could withdraw from war completely and let robots shoot it out." And just
  in time. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19990916/sc/science_robots_1.html

: Would you rather kill/be killed by robots or humans? Would you rather see
wars between humans, robots, aliens, politicos, ants? Is RoboSoldier kewl??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CRYPTO LAW: LITTLE GUY LOSES. Experts say Clinton's loosening of encrypt-
  ion-export rules won't necessarily make online transactions more private.
  http://wired.com/news/news/explode-infobeat/politics/story/21790.html

# LIFE IS FASTER, IF NOT BETTER. Technology allows you to do more
  things more quickly. But what happens to all that time?
  http://wired.com/news/news/explode-infobeat/culture/story/21780.html

: Would you rather have time or privacy? Do you really have neither? Have
they been stolen by Bilderbergers, robots, Reptilioids/Republicans, me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Small, Deadly Comets Could Hit Anytime, Killing Millions. (BBC) A "small"
  comet impact on Earth is the most likely extraterrestrial object to kill
  millions of people and it could happen at any moment, say astronomers.
  Comets between just 50 to 100 metres wide are the most terrifyingly
  destructive, with massive heat and shock waves burning people and
  crushing buildings. http://www.sightings.com/politics4/comets.htm

: Would you rather be hit by big or small comets? Should we put up a shield?
Should we have evacuation plans? Where will we go? Will they let us all in?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ BORDERLINE PD - BorderlinePD is a peer support group list for people with
  borderline personality disorder, as well as families, friends, and signif-
  icant others. If you are diagnosed with this disorder or know someone who
  is, then you already know why such a resource can be invaluable. The list
  is for sharing "daily experiences, information links, therapy experiences,
  coping skills, personal problems, questions, answers, problems, solutions,
  and anything else." Sign up by sending a blank e-mail to:
  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

: Are you disordered? Do you need help? Are you being helped, refusing help,
beyond help? Is conspiratorialism a sublimation of you personality disorder?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Africa tribal healers fight AIDS. LUSAKA, Zambia (AP)  African traditional
  healers - though sometimes blamed for spreading AIDS through unsanitary
  practices or prescribing a sex-with-virgins cure - are gaining new stature
  in the medical community as a weapon against the disease. A crucial role
  to play: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561187993-29c

: Do your traditional healing methods promote the spread of dire pathogens?
Are you part of the solution, part of the problem, part of both? If tradi-
tional practices are so good, why did pre-modern people die so young? Huh?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Food poisoning sickens tens of millions in US. ATLANTA (AP) In the country
  thought to have the world's safest food supply, 76 mln people are sickned,
  325,000 are hospitalized and 5,000 die each year from food poisoning, sez
  the CDC. "Consumers play a lottery every day when they eat." Got milk?
  See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561195363-d14

# US EXPORTING TAINTED CORN? Greenpeace says tests show that genetically
  modified maize was illegally shipped to Russia. The allegations coincide
  with a confab to establish international trade policy. Who's fucked now?
  http://wired.com/news/news/explode-infobeat/technology/story/21793.html

: What foods make you sick? Have you infected/contaminated any foods? Do you
lace foods with chemicals, microbes, devices? Are your alien masters happy?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ SHAPING INTERIOR SPACES WITH FENG SHUI. A great NG because people can post
  specific, brief questions regarding the placement of rooms or objects in
  rooms & get back a prompt, specific reply. Discussions are lively; tidbits
  include the opinion that wastebaskets should ideally be covered or under a
  desk & hidden from view. Other topics cover stuff like what colors inspire
  wealth, which direction your car should be parked, and how yin yang
  dragons should be presented in the home. News:alt.chinese.fengshui

: Do you have many dragons in your home? Were they carefully placed? Could a
misplacement result in disaster, disease, dyspepsia? Are you oddly placed??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CHURCH TO GANGBANGERS: Come to our big barbecue! They're free to eat and
  dance to Christian music -- as long as their guns are left at the crib.
  http://www.seattletimes.com/news/local/html98/homea_19990917.html

: Do you take firearms or other weapons to your religious rituals? Are your
religious rituals incomplete without weaponry, shooting, injury, death?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiResources:

@ The Paperboy - 2500+ online newspapers worldwide: http://thepaperboy.com/
@ Heraldica - Coats of arms and heraldry: http://www.heraldica.org/
@ Inventors Online Museum. http://www.inventorsmuseum.com/
@ Pirates - History & lore: http://www.powerup.com.au/~glen/pirate.htm
@ From Sundials to the Atomic Second: http://britannica.com/clockworks
@ AsiaSource - The Asia Society: http://www.asiasource.org/
@ Introduction to Islam: http://www2.ari.net/gckl/islam/introislam.htm

@ Hoovers: http://www.hoovers.com/
@ LookSmart: http://www.looksmart.com
@ Real Cities: http://www.realcities.com/
@ Northern Light: http://www.northernlight.com
@ NL Special Editions: http://special.northernlight.com/

@ Space Educator's Handbook:
  http://tommy.jsc.nasa.gov/%7Ewoodfill/SPACEED/SEHHTML/seh.html
@ C-SPAN - searchable video archive on Election 2000:
  http://www.cspan.org/campaign2000/search/

@ Antoninus Pius 15th Roman emperor (138-161)
http://campus.northpark.edu/history/WebChron/Mediterranean/AntoniusPius.html
@ H(erbert) G(eorge) Wells: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~lisjpo/wellsian.html
@ Michael Faraday: http://www.iee.org.uk/publish/faraday/faraday1.html
@ Mil SPec Workbikes: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5265/atb.htm

  "You look GREAT in that! Now take it off." --anon

* http://skepticon.da.ru (updated) * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/SkeptiNews archives: http://skeptifiles.da.ru (belated)
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *