-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991123a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* Please DO NOT include the entire bulletin when you reply; Cut/Paste, eh?
* No overly-intellectual "smart dust" was harmed to produce this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Full Y2K Compliance: http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/joelzahn/Office2000/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Human Computers Through BioEngineering On The Way. Washington (SHNS) About
  to be unloosed on Earth is intelligence far greater than that of humanity.
  Yes, computers that think - much faster, more broadly, more deeply - than
  people do. Yes, computers that feel and have self-awareness. They will be
  based, not on silicon, but on carbon, neurons, elements of life. We had
  better teach them to like us: http://www.sightings.com/ufo5/hucomp.htm

: Are you ready to submit to the silicon masters? Do you feel slow, stupid,
sluggish? Should you merge with them, ingest them, become one with them??

@ Interspecies Nurturing: http://jlms.com/~mc_tact/just019.jpg
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Spies'R'Us:

# Mini Airborne Intelligence. BERKELEY, CA (ABC) Whenever there is danger &
  we need info, we usually send in humans: at crime scenes, during nuclear
  accidents, in wartime. It is human life we risk to gain intelligence. But
  why not use "smart dust"? Scientists are creating tiny computerized sens-
  ors the size of specks of dust that can be scattered into the air & send
  back data - in the future, even pictures - as they float back to Earth.
http://abcnews.go.com/onair/cuttingedge/wnt_991119_ce_smartdust_feature.html

: Is dust smarter than you, more observant, more valuable? Should you be
covered with microscopic sensors/computers/communicators? Are they godlike?

# Spies in the 'forests': DOD testing massive spy-tec. Last week we reported
  that a US spy agency had a system to eavesdrop on phone calls. Now it is
  lab-testing software to sift thru calls & emails in search of key phrases:
  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/Features/spies221199.shtml

: Are you constantly monitored? Do you wrap yourself with lead foil to keep
the probes at bay? Do you speak gibberish to throw off the NSA word spies??

# ECHELON Examined - Officials Hope to Uncover How Funds Used for Spy Work:
  http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/echelon991122.html
# JUDGE LETS CIA KEEP BUDGET SECRET - don't watch the spies:
  http://www.cnn.com/US/9911/23/cia.budget.ap/index.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ THE RISKS DIGEST:  Nasdaq software failure; Netscape's cookie-preserving
  behavior;  PFIR: "People For Internet Responsibility"; Businesses could
  owe millions for popular Y2k bug fix;  Japan rail ticket system crash due
  to 11/11/11 11:11;  Computer prompts increase errors?  Y2K creates "horse-
  less carriages";  Risks in end-user license agreements?  Microsoft Y2K
  liability;  Risks of Office 2000;  Slashes in spreadsheets; DVD crypto was
  intentionally weak; Amazon password risk; Who protects me from the protec-
  tors?  Risks of ads in software;  Workshop on Freedom & Privacy By Design;
  Info on RISKS (comp.risks) -- http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/20.65.html

# HUBBLE REVEALS GALACTIC SMASHES MORE COMMON THAN EXPECTED. Astronomers on
  the Hubble Space Telescope observed the galactic equivalent of a rush hour
  multi-car pileup. New data shows the rare ultra-luminous infrared galaxies
  are involved in collisions more frequently than scientists thought, with
  fiery pile-ups of 3, 4 or even 5 galaxies smashing together. More colli-
  sions than expected: http://cnn.com/TECH/space/9911/22/hubble.galaxies/

: Do you fear the risk of the Milky Way smashing head-on into Andromeda? Do
the deities piloting these galaxies drink and drive? Do they smash galaxies
together just to watch the sparks? Are all deities irresponsible juveniles?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Ear Stellas Found At Sphinx - Are The Gods Listening? These ear-tablets
  are usually found in the vicinity of any sanctuary or temple. Were they
  were made to attract the Gods to the prayers of the supplicant? Petrie
  says: "To gain the attention of the Gods, there arose the strange custom
  of carving ears upon the tablet of prayers. Thus, it was thought that the
  God would more readily hear the petitions. In one example there are dozens
  of ears on a single tablet". http://projectduat.com/sphinx-ear-stellas/

: How do you get deities to listen to you? Do bribes help? Have you bribed
any gods lately? Have you sucked up to'em? Do sacrifices get their notice?

# Varginha UFO Crash - Brazilian Army Claims 3 Girls Saw 'Deformed Human' -
  I don't think so, do you? http://www.sightings.com/ufo5/deformed.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# TIMELESS. Surely nothing is possible without time? But a physicist sez it
  doesn't even exist. (NewSci) TIME SEEMS TO BE the most powerful force, an
  irresistible river carrying us from birth to death. To most people it's an
  inescapable part of life, a fundamental element of the Universe. But time
  may be an illusion. Physicists struggling to unify quantum mechanics and
  Einstein's general theory of relativity have found hints that the Universe
  is timeless. http://www.newscientist.com/ns/19991016/timeless.html

: Are you out of time, of space, of love, of grace? Are these all virtual,
reversible, immersible? Have you gone across these lately? Where/when to??

@ Zippy <http://www.sfgate.com/sf/zippy/> says these are only for "bored
  yuppies <http://www.reliablehost.com/planetearthmusic/LiveAtRedRocks.htm>
  with more discretionary income than <http://brains4zombies.com/> brains".
  YOW!  And see: http://www.memepool.com/Subject/Gadgets/ or get fried.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

@ The List Of Lists: http://catalog.com/vivian/interest-group-search.html
@ Simpler Simpler Simpler Simpler Living: http://www.simplerliving.com
@ YOU READ IT HERE FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST: http://www.itgossip.net/

# TEXAS A&M BONFIRE COLLAPSE PROBE GROWS - Bush denies role:
  http://cnn.com/US/9911/23/students.crushed.01/index.html

@ A Bush Family Book Burning. http://www.consortiumnews.com/111799a.html
@ Like Father, Like Son. The Bushes: http://consortiumnews.com/101899a.html
@ Pedigree: Bush Family Politics. http://consortiumnews.com/100599a1.html
@ Bush & the Condor Mystery. http://www.consortiumnews.com/100599b.html
@ Bush's 'Zingy' One-Liners. http://www.consortiumnews.com/100599c.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "My friends, the molluscs, they wrap me up tight
   They show me a good time, keep me up all night
   My friends, the molluscs, have spectacular sex
   They sure have nice houses, and very short necks"
   http://www.sonic.net/~ric/music/mysongs4c.htm#myfr

* Rev. Ric Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.da.ru * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* THE OFFICIAL MAILING LIST OF THE *SEVENTY*SEVENTH* MILLENNIUM!!