-Caveat Lector-

The oft-quoted passages from Romans are somewhat misleading, especially in
English translation. The specific words interpreted as referring to
"generic" homosexuality are *pornoi* and *'arsenokoitai*, translated in the
King James Version as "perverts" and "defilers of themselves with men"
respectively. The difficulty is that, first, *pornos* is a generic term for
prostitute, and if it referred only to male prostitutes that usage was
applicable for a very limited period of time. Second, *'arsenokoites* is a
term that occurs FOR THE FIRST TIME in Romans. EVERY subsequent use of it
(mainly in the Greek Anthology and Patristic writings) refers back to
Romans. Literally translated, it means something like "man-fuckers" (excuse
the crudeness, but it's appropriate). From other, later sources, it appears
that *'arsenokoites* was generally applied to a cross-dressing homosexual
male prostitute, like the famous Brazilian male hookers of today. In a
bizarre twist, it also appears that these "man-fuckers" only DRESSED like
women; when it came to the actual sex act, they were (like their modern
Brazilian counterparts) the active partners. There is no stretch of logic
that can extend criticism of that extremely odd behavior to include loving,
consensual sexual relations between two adults of the same gender. Whatever
arguments may be adduced against homosexuality, this is not one of them.

        <snip>