</A> -Cui Bono?-

At 06:18 PM 2/12/00 -0500, Jim Condit Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
- - - snip - - -

>CertainlyThe question is whether the whole German nation and the bulk of the
>German war machine under Hitler knew this was going on

The contention that the "the whole German nation" knew that there was
some kind of mass extermination program going on against Jews or
anyone else is totally absurd.  And beyond being absurd, it is bigoted in
the extreme: it defames an entire ethnic and national origin group and
provides bigots and extremists a justification for depriving people of
German, Swiss, or Austrian origin of their human and civil rights.

The treatment and disposition of Jews and other prisoners and detainees of
the Third Reich was a STATE SECRET.  A state secret is not something
that an authoritarian government shares with the masses.

The reality of the situation is that the German public and almost all of the
military was totally unaware of and had no involvement in the so-called
"Holocaust".

After WW II, the U.S. and its Allies found to their dismay that the German
public had little sense of "guilt" for their participation in WW II.  To them,
it was defense of their homeland and the overturning of the travesty of
the Versaille Treaty.

The U.S. government  (or more particularly, a vicious cabal of insiders such
as Treaury Secretary Morganthau) made "German guilt" the centerpiece of
their post-war policy toward Germany.   Through propaganda,
re-education, and political domination, they intended to make the German
population accept the entire burden of guilt for everything that happened in
WW II (and WW I).  This would conveniently exculpate various U.S. and
Allied industrialists who made vast fortunes in WW II by profiteering off the
"war economy" (It was just such war profits from WW I that was the paradigm
for L'il Orphan Annie's patron, "Daddy Warbucks".)  If "the War Effort" was
accepted by the American public as a matter of high minded morality, then
no questions would be asked, no hearings would be held to look into the
corruption and profiteering of certain well connected American bigwigs.
(World War II was not without its "Wag the Dog" element.)

One of the consequences of the  U.S. propaganda campaign against Germany
is that the perception of Germans and Germany has become a totally,
absurd, false caricature. and the publics of most western European nations
now easily accept and embrace the most hysterical, exaggerated and false
stereotypes about the reality experienced by most Germans in WW II.

In reality, there is no question:  the German public did not know what was
going on.

DBC