In a message dated 00-04-09 12:16:17 EDT, June writes:

<< Yes, we do live in a Republic, where a mob like the Cubans encamped
outside the home where Elian Gonzalez is staying have no right
 to ram their ideology down the throats of others...>>

Then you are saying that it is OK for those of your ilk to ram your political
agenda down the throats of others?

<< How can we 'prove' that the majority and the laws are against them?
Proving the laws is simple.>>

If it is so simple, how come no one has stated what that laws is?

<< I'd hazard a guess that if you and I decided to loiter on any street in
Miami, we'd soon have cops telling us to move along.  If we
 didn't, we'd find ourselves arrested.

 For some reason this simple anti-loitering statute is NOT being applied in
this case.>>

I'm sure you're right about that, maybe not arrested, but asked to move
along, then if we didn't, we probably would be arrested.

<< Any state in the union would recognize a biological father's right to have
custody of his own son, over the claims of a maternal
 grand-uncle, unless it could be proven that for some reason the father was
an unfit parent.>>

This should be international law, what does that say?  Maybe the fact that
his Mother died trying to get him out of a Communist country says something.
People died trying to get over the Belin Wall also, but I've never heard of
anyone who died trying to get out of a non-communist country.

 <snip>

<< As for what the majority of the U.S. citizenry thinks about this case,
almost everyone outside of the Cuban community says the kid
 should be returned to his father, irregardless if the father asks for
political sanctuary here, are returns with Elian to Cuba.>>

What I hear around this neck of the woods (Colorado) is that the Mother was
trying to give her son a better life here in the US.  Is her death for
nothing?

 <<> Seems to me the same offer was made to send slaves back to Africa, is
that
 > your politics?  Do you think ex-Cubans have no right to be here?

 They have the same rights as all citizens, no less, but certainly no more.
One has to wonder why the Cuban mob parked in permanent
 encampment outside the home where Elian is staying are being given special
treatment.  One wonders why this Cuban child should get
 any more special treatment from the INS and the Justice Department than a
child escaping from Haiti.>>

The last statement makes me wonder what is happening while people are paying
attention to this "pony show" that is going on, what are the
elites/government doing behind the scenes now that they have a good smoke
screen?

 <<Speaking only for myself, it is quite common to use a nickname on the
Internet, in fact it is more common than not.  In my case I
 use the nickname, and only sign with my first name, to avoid stalking.>>

I can understand that, there are many perverts in this world and I think the
US has more than our share, but why would a man hide his identity?  I also
use my nickname, Bob rather than the presumptuous Robert.

 <<It is not a matter of whether one is Communist or not, or whether one
supports Castro or not.  It is a matter of upholding U.S.
 law -- the kid was part of an operation to enter the U.S. illegally, after
all.  And he DOES have a living parent, who is fit to
 care for him.  If the father lived in Georgia, there would be no discussion.
 The only reason you and your ilk give for denying this
 father his right to take custody of his own son is because you don't like
the country he comes from.>>

I believe this is a matter of international law since he is not a US citizen.
 Are you saying that if a Mother scaled the Berlin Wall and died in the
process of escaping East Germany with her child, that you would turn the
child over to the Communists in East Germany, I sincerely doubt that was ever
done.

<< If this was a case involving a mother escaping Iraq with her child, and
the father back in Iraq wanting to take custody of his child
 after the mother's death, I would still support the father's right to raise
his own child, even though I have Saddam Hussein and his
 politics.  >>

I may have thought that way until I came to know a Kurd from Iraq.  He was in
the Iraq military and defected as soon as he could, he is now happy to live
in the US.

Regards,
Bob Stokes

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters