Samantha, and other ETHers:

Oh, dear.  I seem to have miffed a few people with the assertion that the belief in
aliens traveling in UFO's is akin to religion.  It was not my intention to demean
anyone or "pidgeon-hole" them.  Frankly, since I have already stated that it is
POSSIBLE that some UFO's are of alien origin, BUT THAT THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR IT,
and that therefore it is more a BELIEF than a fact, I feel I have yielded enough on
the issue.  You, and others who believe as you do, may be one hundred percent correct,
but you are espousing a BELIEF with no proof for that position.  You will not admit
that you could be wrong and neither will you entertain "alternate explanations".  That
means you are not arguing a position that it is possible to argue against since
nothing I say or post will shake your belief.  I don't have to prove that SOME UFO's
are terrestrial in origin, others have done it before me, and much better than I
could.  There is the theory of Earth Lights, and stealth and secret aircraft, (I know
you have heard of Aurora), there are many other things that UFO's definitely are, like
misidentified regular aircraft, celestial events, car headlights, lighthouses, and
even swamp gas.  Do you deny that there is ample evidence for al of the above?  There
simply is no evidence that any UFO ever was piloted by an alien, or that any UFO has
an origin elsewhere.  I also entertain the POSSIBILITY that some UFO's are not
"terrestrial" in the sense that they are made by men of today.  That is that SOME of
them just MIGHT be of alien origin but there is no evidence of it and thus I am
agnostic on the subject.  I would say there is just as much "evidence" that UFO's that
one cannot classify into any of the slots I note above (and others I, know doubt, in
my ignorance, fail to cite)are of a SUPERNATURAL, IMMATERIAL nature.  So why does it
have to be one way only, and why is it that you cannot admit that because there is a
lack of evidence for your contention that you may in fact be wrong?  The reason is as
I state, it is like a religion, where your belief is supported by your faith in
interpretations that you get second or third hand from the sources (or perhaps are
there some personal experiences that you witnessed or were part of?) and take at face
value without critiquing them at all.  Even if there are creatures buzzing around
abducting people and saying they are aliens, and looking like aliens does not
constitute evidence at all, because they could be lying to cover any number of
nefarious agendas.  I don't have to prove anything to you, because I admit the
possibility that some UFO's are of extraterrestrial origin, though I give it a very
low probability.  What I will not do is give into the belief system and accept belief
in them in the absence of proof, so I wait to see what comes about.  You on the other
hand will not admit the slightest and offer no evidence in support of ALIENS (though
you have cited some good info. that is evidence of the reality of UFO's which is
something that I think we all already agree is a real phenomenon).  It is absolutely
clear, that unless you admit the possibility that you are wrong, then your view is
unshakable and it wouldn't matter what I said about it.
I admit the possibility of aliens, but that is a BELIEF on my part, not based on
evidence in support of it.  As such it has very little likelihood of being true, but
it is possible.  I will never just accept it without the proof to see.
If that offends you, or pidgeon-holes you then. . .I'm sorry, but that is just the way
it is.

On Wed, 31 May 2000, "Samantha L." wrote:

> In a message dated 5/31/00 10:47:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > This is the whole point.  There are people on this list and in the wide
> > world who BELIEVE in "aliens" so strongly that it is a religious thing for
> > them.  This is why they will not yield on evidenciary grounds, or even
> admit
> > the POSIIBILITY that there are no "aliens" coming to Earth from elsewhere.
> > Beliefs cannot be argued and no evidence to the contrary will shake ones
> > belief if one is strong enough in it.
>
>   I believe strongly based on what I've read, learned, experienced and seen
> in conjunction with  my intuition after years of seeking such information.
> What is the EVIDENCE to the contrary?  What is there besides possible
> alternative explanations?
>
>   If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it.  "Extraordinary
> claims require extraordinary PROOF."  Where have I heard that before?
>
>   To support your assertions, you are not required to prove a negative, you
> are only required to prove that the unidentified flying objects are of human,
> terrestrial origin.  Since this seems to be your belief akin to religiosity,
> I ask you to provide evidence for it.
>
>   There is no proof that all are flying objects of terrestrial origin just as
> there is no proof (that I know of) that all are of extra-terrestrial origin.
> There is EVIDENCE sufficient to support the theory that they ARE of
> extra-terrestrial origin.  There is probably evidence to suggest that some
> are of human, terrestrial origin.  Did you not read the theory of at least
> two people here that there is a genuine phenomenon AND a mimic phenomenon?
>
>   You seem to pigeon-hole these posts whose contents you take issue with,
> pigeon-hole the posters, twist the words and meanings, ascribe motives you
> can have no knowledge of, and generally filter the information presented to
> make it appear that those who post it are irrational and childish.  It is
> very insulting.
>
> Samantha
>
> <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>
> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
> screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are
> sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
> misdirections
> and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
> minor
> effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
> CTRL
> gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers;
> be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and
> [...]

"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, in The Matrix

"My God it's full of stars!"  Dave Bowman, in 2001: A Space
Odyssey

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go