> I have been taking bluegreen algae for years
> and wondered if this is really a better product?
> I would appreciate any info.

I don't know for sure how to compare blue-green algae with the
brown seaweed extract.  However, problems have been reported with
some types, or batches of blue-green algae :

1) Some algae contains vitamin B-12 analogs which block
   'real B-12' assimilation (even from B-12 supplements), thus
   causing a masked B-12 deficiency that will not show up on
   the basic B-12 blood tests -- thereby possibly leading to
   permanent neurological damage, if not corrected in time.

   Spirulina has this potential problem, and some types of
   blue-green algae possibly do, also.  However, food product
   testing for 'B-12 analogs' is probably not required by law,
   and too expensive to do regularly, if it's done at all.

   A victim of the above problem (B-12 analogs) would need the
   MMA (methylmalonic acid) blood test to detect a 'functional
   B-12 deficiency', although a cause and effect relationship
   would be difficult to establish with certainty.

2) Six species of blue-green algae are known to produce toxins,
   and at least one of these (potentially toxic) species is
   commonly sold for human consumption.  Also, toxic species or
   varieties could 'invade' and contaminate non-toxic algae crops.
   Cell Tech brand blue-green algae is tested every-other day
   on mice -- to see if it kills them.  (see reference below).

3) " Upper Klamath Lake, where Cell Tech harvests its algae, is
   a shallow eutrophied lake full of nitrogen and phosphorus from
   animal feces.  Klamath Lake lies along a migratory bird flyway,
   and large colonies of pelicans poop there year-round in a
   protected sanctuary.  The August 1995 issue of Vegetarian Times
   describes the lake as pretty polluted.  Three epidemic fish
   kills have occurred there recently, due to algal blooms. "
   (see reference below).

4) Is algae tested for mercury (and heavy-metals) contamination ?
   A friend's teenage daughter lost her kidney function
   (glomerulonephritis) to Hawaiian Spirulina which contained
   mercury.  She was put on high-dose corticosteroids, awaiting
   a kidney transplant.

5) One species of blue-green algae produces 'anatoxin' -- an
   addictive neurotoxin that produces a good-feeling 'buzz'.
   It is chemically related to cocaine,  and eventually could
   produce a similar type of brain damage.

Reference -

Many similar problems are fully explained in :

       Why Blue Green Algae Makes Me Tired
       -------------------------------------
       By  John M. McPartland, DO
       Director, Vermont Alternative Medicine

       (original:  Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients)

 OR:   http://www.sightings.com/health/greenalgaetired.htm

Modifilan -

Regarding the quality control of the Modifilan product from
Siberia, contact the supplier for complete information :

   Home page:   http://www.modifilan.com
   Studies:     http://www.modifilan.com/studies.htm

ProAlgen -

For those primarily concerned with mercury -- or heavy-metal --
or radioactive substance -- detoxification of the body, there
is another product available that contains alginate, from
concentrated and extracted Arctic Sea algae :

 ProAlgen -- http://www.nordicnaturals.com/product5.html

 ProAlgen is a powerful and effective heavy metal detoxifier
 made from Arctic Fucus and Laminaria algae and concentrated
 alginate.  Alginate binds to heavy metals in the digestive
 tract, which are then removed from the body altogether.
 ProAlgen has been the subject of published medical research
 due to its beneficial effects on some skin disorders.
 ProAlgen contains over 40 trace elements and minerals.
 ProAlgen has been used by health practitioners in
 Scandinavia for over 10 years.

 Product Features:

 + Made from arctic Fucus and Laminaria algae and alginate concentrate
 + 80% algae concentrate, 20% dried algae extract
 + Contains over 40 minerals, trace elements and phytonutrients
 + 480 mg Alginate
 + 120 mg Dried Marine Plants

 Nordic Naturals Products
 -------------------------
 Telephone:  831.662.2852
 Facsimile:  831.662.0382

 3040 Valencia Ave., Suite 2, Aptos, CA 95003-4126 USA

Also see:

     ProAlgen - A Heavy Metal Detoxifier!

     http://www.si-online.net/proalgen.htm

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL