The Conservative e-Journal of Record

Date: 14 July 2000
Federalist #00-28.dgst

To retrieve today's Digest as HTML printer-friendly text or PDF,
link to: http://www.Federalist.com/current00-2.asp

To support or sponsor The Federalist,
link to: http://www.Federalist.com/support.asp

______--------********O********--------______
THE FOUNDATION

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine

______--------********O********--------______
FEDERALIST PERSPECTIVE

In the news this week, "You've got mail!" -- and so does Janet Reno.
You may recall that "Echelon," the NSA macro-tracking system for
monitoring electronic communication, caused some consternation among
our European allies. This week, the FBI confirmed it has deployed an
automated system to track e-mail communication of "suspects." The
system, known as  ''Carnivore,'' is placed at an Internet service
provider, and scans all incoming and outgoing e-mail for key words
related to a criminal probe.

The problem, of course, is not one of the legitimate use of such
technology, but of the potential for its abuse -- and the present
administration has aptly demonstrated how to abuse the FBI, ATF, INS
and IRS for its own political purposes. That pesky old Fourth
Amendment still guarantees "the right of the people to be secure in
their ... papers ... against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall
not be violated...."

On the other hand, if the system had been deployed on White House
servers, we might have all of Al Gore's "missing" e-mail.

Speaking of e-mail....  The military is not the only department of the
central government that has become a "grand social experiment." As The
Federalist has frequently noted, Clinton's "Commissars of Diversity"
have decreed that centralized agencies will be devoid of dissension
from the Clinton/Gore advocacy of homosexuality. An e-mail from a
National Park Service ranger exemplifies that agency's sentiment on
the subject.

On the heels of the Supreme Court's decision that the Boy Scouts did
not have to recruit homosexual scoutmasters, Canaveral National
Seashore Ranger Don Mock sent the following message to Larry Glantz at
Nez Perce Park: "Re: President Proclaims June as Gay and Lesbian Pride
Month, God bless the Boy Scouts of America." Glantz responded, "Amen."
Unfortunately, the message ended up on the agency's Intranet broadcast
system.

Mock's superintendent at Canaveral sent the following NPS Intranet
message: "We want to apologize for Mr. Mock's insensitive comment
regarding the recent Supreme Court ruling.... His thoughtless act has
reverberated throughout the Service and hurt many of our
colleagues...." Glantz's boss also issued an apology for the "Amen":
"His support for the insensitive comment by another employee offended
many...is hurtful and extremely inappropriate. The very essence of the
NPS system is an appreciation of our nation's...cultural diversity."
(Not exactly what Congress had in mind when authorizing the National
Park Service.)

Not to be left out of the loop, Robert Stanton, NPS Clintonista in
Charge, e-mailed all employees: "Two NPS employees wrote personal
messages that could be interpreted as [anti-homosexual] [Their]
superintendents...have apologized and are taking appropriate action
[against] the authors of the negative messages."

We suspect Mock and Glantz are on their way to a Death Valley outpost.

Open Query...

"Does the Constitution mean whatever the Supreme Court says it means,
or do words have an objective meaning?" --Don Feder  **In this era of
"what the meaning of 'is' is"?

The BIG lie...

"There is no point in telling the American people we're doing
something that turns out to be a fraud." --The Great Prevaricator
urging Republican lawmakers to be truthful

>From "The most ethical administration"...

"Leon Johnson is black. And a judge. In the South.  Sitting in
judgment over the President of the United States.  That's real change,
and that's what the bureaucratic liberals cannot understand and don't
want to see." --Peter Roff after a fourth judge recused himself from
handling Bill Clinton's disbarment trial, leaving it up to Judge Leon
Johnson, appointed by Arkansas Republican Gov. Mike Huckabee, to hear
the case.

News from the Swamp...

In the House of Commons, lawmakers want to raise their current
$141,300 salaries by $3,800, their third increase in four years,
prompting this comment from Paul Weyrich: "...[T]hose of you who have
to...worry if your performance pleased the boss enough to get you a
raise, just think about your Congressman and Senators. They get the
pay raise just for being there."

In the House of Lords, Senate Republicans are preparing to repeal
inheritance taxes.  Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers warned that
the measure faces a certain veto by Clinton. The real issue here is
that most Americans' estate residual would not be subject to taxation
based on the current exemptions allowed by the IRS. Eliminating taxes
on wealthier Americans, like replacing the so-called "progressive" tax
with a flat tax, is fodder for the Left's class warfare rhetoric.

In the Supreme halls of justice...

Justice Scalia's dissenting remarks, on the Supreme Court's decision
to strike down a state law barring infanticide, are worth repeating:
"I am optimistic enough to believe that, one day, Stenberg v. Carhart
will be assigned its rightful place in the history of this Court's
jurisprudence beside Korematsu and Dred Scott. The method of killing a
human child one cannot even accurately say an entirely unborn human
child proscribed by this statute is so horrible that the most clinical
description of it evokes a shudder of revulsion. And the Court must
know (as most state legislatures banning this procedure have
concluded) that demanding a 'health exception' which requires the
abortionist to assure himself that, in his expert medical judgment,
this method is, in the case at hand, marginally safer than others (how
can one prove the contrary beyond a reasonable doubt?) is to give
live-birth abortion free rein. The notion that the Constitution of the
United States, designed, among other things, 'to establish Justice,
insure domestic Tranquility, . . . and secure the Blessings of Liberty
to ourselves and our Posterity,' prohibits the States from simply
banning this visibly brutal means of eliminating our half-born
posterity is quite simply absurd... I dissent."

In other halls of injustice on the left, an appeals court ruled that
central-government agents may maintain the records of legal gun buyers
for six months -- which serves no other purpose than to provide the
groundwork for confiscation of weapons.  The NRA will appeal.

Regarding your IRS overpayment...

"I'm deeply disappointed that an agency that could send a man to the
moon now can't even balance its books to the nearest half-billion."
--House Science Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner after his
committee detected a $590 million accounting error that went unnoticed
by the NASA's own independent auditors.

The Commissars...

"We are still one of the most violent nations in the world. We can do
something about it, but we have got to wake up America." --AG Janet
Reno in her latest call for more gun control. Actually, if you are not
a gang member or drug dealer, your chances of being murdered are as
comparably low as in most other Western nations.

>From the states...

In New Hampshire, the state House voted overwhelmingly to impeach that
state's chief justice for alleged ethics violations. Now, there is an
idea for the U. S. Congress, not that the Senate would ever impeach a
justice for fabricating the Constitution!

The Colorado State Board of Education passed a resolution encouraging
schools to display the national motto "In God we trust," which
Congress approved in 1864. The ACLU's Sue Armstrong says they will
wait until schools post the motto before challenging it.

Oregon conservatives have put an initiative on November's ballot
which, if approved, would withhold state funding from schools that
"encourage, promote or sanction" homosexuality.

Speaking of education, Berkeley, California law enforcement
authorities began cracking
down on home schoolers, summoning parents to truancy hearings and then
demanding that the Alameda County district attorney prosecute them for
contributing to the delinquency of minors.

In other Left Coast news, California's Supreme Court ruled that the
state attorney general could add a wide variety of guns to the state's
list of outlawed "assault weapons." Attorney General Bill Lockyer
says, "The Supreme Court decision ... represents a major victory for
gun safety and public safety in California. My office will immediately
begin taking the necessary steps to ensure that the state assault
weapons laws will be fully and vigorously enforced."

The "Dumb and Dumber" Department...

Philadelphia Police Chief Timoney has rejected any comparisons between
the videotaped beating of a black suspect (who shot a police officer
and stole his patrol car) and the beating of Rodney King by LA's
finest in 1991.  "For people to start making comparisons to Rodney
King, I just think is outrageous," Timoney said. "[The suspect was]
resisting throughout." Another small problem for the "race baiters":
There were black officers joining in on the melee.

In business news...

Lingerie-maker Frederick's of Hollywood filed for Chapter 11
bankruptcy protection in Los Angeles. Analysts revealed that market is
a bust after the bottom fell out....

Around the world...

Still looking for a reputable legacy, with little success from the
Madrid conference, the Oslo I and Oslo II accords and the Wye River
accord, Clinton reconvened Palestinian terrorist Yasser Arafat and
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak at Camp David this week.  "This is
perhaps the most difficult of all the peace problems in the world,"
Clinton said (if you exclude his marital problems with HILLARY!, who,
incidentally, has already told us how this tale ends -- a Palestinian
state). Paul Greenberg notes, "How each side envisions peace may be so
different that it's hard to see how a summit can produce anything but,
at best, another ambiguous paper agreement that will be interpreted
quite differently by all the signers."

Of course, HILLARY! and Al Gore stand to gain the most from any "peace
agreement" between Israel and the Palestinians.

In other "legacy" news, Bill Clinton, who protested on foreign soil
against his own nation's armed services during the Vietnam War,
announced a landmark trade agreement with Ho Chi's team in Vietnam
saying it represents "another historic step in the process of
normalization, reconciliation and healing between our two nations."
We don't doubt for a moment that Clinton would have readily posed on
an anti-aircraft gun in Hanoi in 1969 -- if only given the
opportunity.

Faith Matters...

Pope John Paul II is not amused by the World Gay Pride 2000
celebration in Rome coinciding with the Catholic Holy Year
celebrations there.  "In the name of the Church of Rome, I must
express sadness for the affront to the Great Jubilee of the year 2000
and the offense to Christian values of a city that is so dear to the
heart of Catholics of the whole world. ... Homosexual acts are against
nature's laws. The church cannot silence the truth, because
this...would not help discern what is good from what is evil."

In related news from the "Village Church" bulletin, the Episcopal
General Convention passed a resolution to support homosexuals in
committed, monogamous relationships -- a bridge measure to next year's
effort to recognize "marriage" between "same-sex couples."

On the frontiers of science...

A few weeks ago, Governor George Bush delayed the execution of a Texas
inmate so that DNA evidence could be reviewed. That review backfired,
providing additional evidence that the inmate was, indeed, guilty.
University of Utah Professor Paul G. Cassell had this observation
about all the death-penalty yada-yada:

"Avowed opponents of the death penalty caught the attention of Al Gore
among others when they released a report purporting to demonstrate
that the nation's capital punishment system is 'collapsing under the
weight of its own mistakes.'  Contrary to the headlines written by
some gullible editors, however, the report proves nothing of the sort.
.. Indeed, missing from the media coverage was the most critical
statistic: After reviewing 23 years of capital sentences, the study's
authors (like other researchers) were unable to find a single case in
which an innocent person was executed.  Thus, the most important error
rate -- the rate of mistaken executions -- is zero.

"...The Bureau of Justice statistics has found that of 52,000 inmates
serving time for homicide, more than 800 had previously been convicted
of murder.  THAT sounds like a system collapsing under the weight of
its own mistakes - and innocent people are dying as a result."

And last, remember all the 1997 hoopla over the "racially motivated
church burning" conspiracy -- that wasn't?  Turns out the Justice
Department did nab one arsonist who has pleaded guilty to 26 church
arsons in eight states. But he wasn't a racist. He was a Satanist who
called himself a missionary of Lucifer.  And, for the record, the only
church arson in the last decade involving fatalities was the one
precipitated by the Justice Department's presence outside the compound
of a religious cult in Waco, Texas.

______--------********O********--------______
INSIGHT

"Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory."
--Franklin Pierce Adams  {}  "When law and morality contradict each
other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his
moral sense or losing his respect for the law." --Frederic Bastiat  {}
"While we have heard of stupid haste in war, we have not yet seen a
clever operation that was prolonged."  --Sun Tzu  {}  "The strongest
man in the world is he who stands most alone." --Henrik Ibsen  {}  "We
made a great mistake in the beginning of our struggle, and I fear, in
spite of all we can do, it will prove to be a fatal mistake. We
appointed all our worst generals to command our armies, and all our
best generals to edit the newspapers." --Robert E. Lee  {}  "I say to
you in all sadness of conviction, that to think great thoughts you
must be heroes as well as idealists." --Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.  {}
"True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings; Kings it makes
gods, and meaner creatures kings." --William Shakespeare  {}  "Good
and evil both increase at compound interest. That is why the little
decisions you and I make every day are of such infinite importance."
--C.S. Lewis  {}  "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis
telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's
hands.) --Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD

______--------********O********--------______
THE GOOD NEWS

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many
kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops
perseverance." (James 1:2-3)

______--------********O********--------______
UPRIGHT

"I can't imagine the Founding Fathers intended the Constitution to
protect infanticide." --Dick Armey.  ++  "It's time for the leftist
justices to retire, get their gold watches, and head for the country
club." --Rep. J.C. Watts Jr.  ++  "...[F]ive verbose jurisprudes who
can't bear to describe what they have declared lawful and can't
provide a single coherent reason why they replaced the legacy of
Hippocrates with that of Dr. Mengele." --Tony Snow on "live-birth
abortion."  ++  "When the history of the rise and fall of America is
finally written, it may well be recorded that the beginning of the end
was signaled by the blind submission of a pagan people to the tyranny
of a 'nine-headed Caesar'." --Linda Bowles  ++  "Using the force of
law to teach children that religion must be kept private is at least
as much an establishment of religion as seeming to approve of student
prayer." --Maggie Gallagher  ++  "Wouldn't it be wonderful if the
[Supreme] court would honor the Constitution as much as it does those
deplorable cases misinterpreting it?" --David Limbaugh  {}  "If you
love politically incorrect movies...go see The Patriot. It has some
left-wing movie critics in a perfect snit. Everything they hate is in
it." --Charlie Reese  ++  "This film is about personal freedom --
which many people take for granted today. ... It's a good thing that
historians are going to harangue this and say, 'It's not accurate.'
Good. It'll make somebody pick up a book." --Mel Gibson  ++  "It comes
from the Israel of the Bible: Sooner or later, the king unchecked will
come for your sons. That should be a universal message, untied to any
ideology, since tyrants have come in all hues, shapes and sizes
throughout history." --John H. Fund  ++  "For more than a century we
have been plied and belabored with theories purporting to explain
history in terms of rival inevitabilities, of the inexorable working
out of this or that iron law of history's unfolding. Revisiting the
Revolutionary War is a bracing reminder that the fate of a continent,
and the shape of the modern world, turned on the free choices of
remarkably few Americans defying an empire." --George F. Will  ++  "Is
it too much to ask late 20th century critics to grasp that people who
lived 200 years ago did not necessarily harbor quite the same
superstitions that we do?" --Samuel Francis  {}  "They don't need
campaign funds. They need spinal fluid." --Andrea Lafferty on the 13
Republican Senators who voted to make "hate" a federal crime for
politically correct identity groups.  ++  "To call Congress
emasculated is to insult eunuchs." --David C. Stolinsky

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan