From: "Damian B. Cooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Well, this is an interesting tidbit.
>
> Joseph Lieberman's father owned a liquor store?
>
> When?  Where?

His father drove a bakery wagon during Prohibition, and sometime after its repeal
opened a liquor store.

Presumably it was in Stamford, Connecticut, where Joe Lieberman grew up...Stamford is
a 'bedroom community' of NYC, the largest city
of Connecticut's 'gold coast' of western Fairfield County...

> And just how big was this liquor store?

As far as I know, just your regular neighborhood package store...

> And, what kind of liquor did he sell?  Legal?  Illegal?

Legal.  It was after Prohibition was repealed.

> And from whom did he buy the liquor?  Meyer Lansky?
> Bugsy Siegel? The Kennedy's  Moe Dalitz? The Annenbergs?
> The Bronfman's?

Presumably he availed himself of the same wholesalers as every other package store
owner did...

> And where was this liquor made?  Tennessee?  Canada?  bathtubs?

He ran a package store.  Which means he sold all manner of liquor...beer, wine (of all
sorts), whiskeys (Bourbon and Scotch,
presumably from whatever distillers worldwide that were available), gins, vodkas,
brandies, etc.

> And were the appropriate taxes paid on this liquor?

Connecticut has always had very strict laws in regards to awarding a license to sell
liquor -- including being very vigilant in
collecting any taxes due...

> And how much money did Lieberman's daddy make selling liquor?

Obviously enough to send young Joe to Yale...

> It seems to be a rather curious family background for someone so "moral"
> as Joseph Lieberman.

What is immoral in selling liquor?

> The Bronfman family fortune came from bootlegging booze made in
> Canada across Lake Erie into the U.S. during Prohibition.  The Bronfman
> family owns Seagram's, the multinational booze purveyor.

And which has headquarters in Connecticut (or did at one time)...

June