-Caveat Lector-

From: "Johannes Schmidt III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Mechanical. Maybe something in the car, a nut or bolt or
> something, snapped and whacked you under the ear? Was it that
> sort of car.

Not sure what you mean by 'that sort of car'...it was a 1976 Plymouth Volare Sport
Coupe.  Sweet little car
that I kept until 1989...

I was parked in a parking space in the garage, just about to get out of the car.  If
it had been anything hard
that had hit my ear -- whether the object was metallic, mineral, plastic, glass,
whatever, it would have hit
the glass of my car after hitting my ear...yet nothing did.

> Insect: Could it have been a bee sting, insect bite or sting?
> You stated the windows were closed, but could something have
> gotten in through a gap or the airconditioning?

Possibly.  Believe me, that is one of the many possibilities/excuses I considered over
the years, but for the
same reason above that I dismiss the hard object from within the car, I dismiss the
insect theory, since my
windows were up and I was in a parked car.  There was no insect buzzing around inside.
 Also, the sensation
was of some hard object hitting my ear (the outer ear actually bent forward), not of
something sitting on my
ear and stinging me.

> Physical/Psychological: Could it have been some sort of twitch
> or muscle spasm you hadn't experienced before?

If it was, it was something I'd never experienced before, and never have experienced
since.  It was a 'twitch'
that caused my outer ear to be pushed forward and flattened against my ear canal
opening, and also magically
produced a bruise only on the back of the ear and not on the front...

> There might be some sort of neurological explanation, perhaps it
> was due to stress or something? You said it was bruised, but did
> you have a mirror with you to check?

Yes, I did.  I first checked it in the car mirror, and a compact I carried with me,
and could see 'something',
but not much.  I then checked it in a larger mirror in the ladies' room at work, about
15 minutes later.

> If you bruise easily,

I don't.  It takes a lot for me to bruise, but once I am the bruise stays a long
time...this bruise didn't
completely fade for almost a month, although after 2 weeks or so it had gone from ugly
black/blue/purple to
blackish/yellow...

>any subsequent bruise might have been caused by you rubbing
> the spot when the pain occured.

I never rubbed it, only first touched it because I really thought I'd been shot and
expected to see blood, and
when I didn't I then bent the ear forward and tried to see the back of it in my car
mirrors and in my
compact...I could see that there was some sort of mark, but like I said couldn't
really see a lot (the
lighting wasn't the best in the parking garage), and when I got into work I
immediately checked it in the
ladies room, and it was already very 'colorful'...

Besides, it hurt like the dickens immediately when it happened, and for the rest of
the day (and was hard to
sleep on that side because of the pain).  No 'touching' or 'rubbing' on my part caused
that.

> Just a few ideas to try and convince you you're sane.

Oh, I'm reasonably sure I'm reasonably sane...but I still have no idea what it was
that occurred that day, and
still am searching for a theory that would fit.

June