-Caveat Lector-

June wrote:

> Oh, I'm reasonably sure I'm reasonably sane...but I still have no idea what it was
>that occurred that day, and
> still am searching for a theory that would fit.

Forgive me if someone else has suggested the following - I'm pretty
behind on my emails, but find your experience intriguing.

When I was a teenager I was at a party (at my own house) and a friend
across the room called my name. I turned my head to look and suddenly
'heard' a loud 'snap' and felt intense pain shoot up from the back of my
neck to the top of my skull.  It was *incredibly* painful.  My neck and
skull were sore for days after.  The doctor I saw told me that we have
tendons in our neck, and that one of mine had 'snapped', probably simply
due to the simple movement of my head to look at my friend.

So I accepted that explanation.  Then years later I read about something
called 'mini-strokes' that can sometimes occur in the (sorry forget the
medical term) large artery that leads up the neck to the brain.  I
though back to my 'snapped' tendon and wondered if instead of that I had
experienced a mini-stroke.

In any event, it has always puzzled me, and the location of it - the
'snapping' was close to the side of the neck near the back of the ear
area that you describe.  However, I don't remember any bruising,
although I have very thick and long hair - there easily could have been
some and would have been more surprised than not if their hadn't been -
that was how powerful the force of the snapping was.  Indeed, as you
say, it would be easy to think of it as being shot.

Not sure if this is of any help to you - but if you ever do find out
what caused yours, let me know!

Kelly