-Caveat Lector-

From: "Prudence L. Kuhn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Anybody know how all that stuff Nancy Reagan took was routed?  If she had to
> pay a million in back taxes, there must have been a bale of it, and I'm
> really curious.

If I'm not mistaken, the majority of Reagan's haul (and believe me, I'm on your side
when it comes to the
Reagans) consisted of the designer outfits donated to her by designers who, unless
they thought the outfit was
going to end up in The First Ladies Collection at the Smithsonian (there IS such a
collection there, BTW),
probably intended for Nancy to keep the 'donation'...

That is quite different from someone donating something to the White House itself,
thinking that it will
become a permanent part of the White House collection...only to find that their gift
to the nation was usurped
by the departing First Couple as a personal gift...

I could understand someone in that situation being understandably peeved...

> Still I wouldn't give anything to anyone at the White House
> or to the White House either.

I think it's considered an honor to have an item accepted to be part of the White
House collection...it's
considered a gift to the country as a whole, not to any one person who happens to be
president at the time...

> What did they do with the old kitchen
> table and chairs by the way?  That interests me.  Are the things given to
> Good Will or are they burned as religious objects?  Prudy

I couldn't say for sure, but years ago I read an article (in The Smithsonian magazine,
as it turns out)
regarding a major auction house in the DC area, that specialized in auctioning off old
stuff from federal
property, and the occasional gift to a congresscritter or First Couple that under law
could not be accepted as
a person gift...

The majority of auctions were your old empty file cabinets, etc.  But according to the
article, usually there
were at least a handful of choice items which could possibly be gotten for a
song...retired china sets, old
furniture, etc.  I believe that according to the article, the proceeds went to the
GAO...

June