-Caveat Lector-

Well, dogs and cats have been an integral part of traditional Asian
cuisine, too, but I shall also pass on those.  Perhaps they are what
result this alleged health to which you allude.  They are killed in
the most painful way as it is believed that it tenderizes the meat
and enhances the nutritional value.  See the PETA website for photos
of dogs with their front legs twisted up behind their backs,
shoulders dislocated, writhing in pain and yowling  in the market
places of Asia.  Maybe this does not bother you with your dogcatcher
background but it upsets me very much.  I will also pass on monkey
brains, etc.

Because a diet will sustain life for a millennia (check your
spelling, dear!) does not mean that it is of optimal nourishment.
Consider the diminutive stature of Asians, etc. and then the results
when adequate protein is added to the diet as in the new 7 ft.
basketball player. I do not jump on every new diet craze the
government pushes our way without seeing results and they are not
there for the Asian diet.  The only diet I have encountered which
results in greater longevity, etc. is that of the Mormon faith which
results in an average life span increase of 11 years.  Now THAT I
find impressive.  Maybe soy is causing all those food allergies you
have for I believe it has been linked to lactose intolerance.

If you can see through the canola scam, perhaps you need to look
more closely at the soy one for it is SSDD, as Stephen King would
say. :-}
Amelia