-Caveat Lector-

Well, J2, one does not have to be perfect to be declared a Saint by
the Catholic Church for all have sinned, etc.  It is more about a
preponderance of good works and I cannot remember the other
criteria but a miracle is good.  Sure, it would have been good if
Pius had spoken out against Hitler but that is hind sight speaking
and I do not believe the full picture was realized until it was too
late. But your saying Hitler was the way he was BECAUSE of his
religion is one of the most prejudicial statements I have ever
heard made.  Most evil people are that way IN SPITE of whatever
religious training they have had, regardless of that religion.  Few
religions advocate evil.  The same religion produced Albert
Sweitzer and Mother Teresa.  Did Son of Sam kill because he was
Jewish or in spite of it?

 Excommunication would have done nothing for it is just saying that
the person cannot receive the sacrament of communion until some
issue is resolved. They can still attend mass, etc. for only God
can truly excommunicate.

If Hitler had wanted money from me, I would have been afraid to
refuse. I also think of the artworks in the Vatican and wonder if,
given the Nazi's penchant for art, there was an effort to protect
the irreplaceable.  But I do NOT think Hitler was listening to
religious leaders at all and was heavily into the occult instead.
I do not think the Pope had any influence at all or there would not
have been war in the first place. Pope's only have real influence
in matters of religion, not politics.  And a Pope/Priest will bless
just about anything if asked.  It is not the same as giving a
personal blessing or endorsement.  They will bless dogs, cats,
basketball shoes, doorways and Heads of State. Pius blessed troops
on both sides for they do not have the right to refuse if asked by
people going into battle, regardless of the cause.

I hope this commission has access to all the records and the truth
be what it may.  I also hope that there will be enough
understanding of the actual circumstances so as to not condemn each
other but rather try to understand how mistakes are made.  But keep
in mind that just as many Catholics went to the death camps from
Poland as did Jews.  And there is also evidence of Jewish
collaboration, French and everyone else.  And I think the majority
by far did not know what was happening in all the confusion of a
war.

Now I have to go and read a post from another list about why the
Pope IS a Jew with a Jewish mother and put in place  by the Jews to
run the Vatican.  You know, given his advanced age and frailty,
there is not much that can be said at this late date that will
alienate his followers.  I hope the commission will get n with the
work and stop bickering among themselves.  Did you read the article
about Jews planning to seek reparation from the Catholic Church?
Is that what this is really about, getting money?  While pretending
to have other motives?

~Amelia~