Somebody on tv said they had gone down the stairs from the I think 50th floor to I think the 30th and the speakers came on and said they should go back to their offices; he said they looked at each other, said, "naaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh", kept going to the ground and lived.
----- Original Message -----
From: RevCOAL
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CTRL] Fwd: Terrorism on Trial (Daniel Pipes and Steven Emerson) July, 2001

-Caveat Lector-

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Amelia wrote:
>If you hear any more about the person telling people to stay calm
>and stay in the building, please post it.

Nope, nothing more today, but then there weren't many survivors hanging
around to be interviewed...

>Could she have been
>well-intended and just somebody who thought she would avert panic
>by doing this?  Or do you think something far more sinister?

While the female survivor just reported that 'someone told us to stop
leaving and herded us into this room on the 12th floor where a TV was
playing...', the construction worker specifically stated 'some guy told
us to stay put and not evacuate'...

The contruction worker didn't mention any room with a TV, I'm not sure if
he and the woman survivor were even in the same building or each in
separate towers...

If it was just one incident, one could perhaps brush it off as misguided
advice from a well-meaning anonymous individual...but the fact that 2
people in 2 separate incidents report an attempt to keep them inside
instead of evacuating, and the possibility that it was 2 separate people
doing this, I think raises questions about what was going on...

Especially when one muses on why there just happened to be what seemed to
be a collection area for evacuees on the 12th floor with a TV set
up...according to this woman, there was nothing else in the room except
the TV and people milling about, wondering what to do...

According to this woman, they were specifically stopped IN THE STAIRWELL
by this person, who seemed to be stationed deliberately at the 12th floor
level to divert evacuees to this mysterious empty room with the TV.....

But if that person was still there when the woman and her friends decided
to book out again, at least he or she did not stop them a 2nd time...

But I do have to wonder how many other people were still milling around,
watching that TV on the 12th floor, when the building collapsed...

>Also, I have been so proud of the behavior of the New Yorkers!
New Yorkers, no less!  Behaving in a very civilized manner and showing
>compassion and helping each other.

You obviously don't know the Big Apple and its residents well...this
happens all the time, albeit on a much smaller scale.  New Yorkers always
pull together in a crisis...  :-)

>I thought they did not care,
>etc. and even prided themselves on their bad attitude.

Ah!  You see, they really care too much, and hide their collective
marshmallow interior with a hard, tough veneer...

>Even when
>they were running as the buildings collapsed and all of the debris
>was coming right up the street after them, there was no pushing, no
>shoving and people actually picked up anybody who fell.

Yep...that's Big Applites fer ya!

Although late this afternoon they showed an evacuation from one of the
buildings near the WTC which is about to collapse...there was a camera
crew in the lobby, along with a whole bunch of rescue personnel, when the
building started shaking and they thought it was about to fall...

The cameraman kept filming as they all hightailed it out there...as he
ran thru the lobby doors with dozens of rescue personnel running in front
and past him (and those outside starting to run as people shout "Get out
of the area, it's about to fall!"), suddenly a woman pushes past -- she
hadn't been visible before that.  I suspect that she was part of the
camera crew, as she was wearing clean crisp designer jeans and a nice
clean, white shirt...in other words, it didn't look like she had been
taking an active part in the rescue operation.  Plus she had a designer
knapsack on her back...

Well, she was the only woman....and everyone had to squeeze thru a narrow
area because of the constrictions of debris, abandoned cars, etc.  Some
of the guys just milled, wondering whether they should leave or not.
Some others were weighed down with rescue equipment.  In other words,
most couldn't move very fast....

And suddenly you see this babe just elbowing her way thru the crowd...it
was obvious that she was very afraid and wanted to put as much space
between herself and the dangerous building as possible, and wasn't going
to let a little thing like manners get in the way...   :-)

That's Big Applites fer ya, too!  ;-)

>One man passing out sneakers from his store to those women with no
>shoes!  What is the world coming to?  New Yorkers are going to lose
>their reputation for being nasty! :-)

They're never really nasty, just abrupt.

What's nasty is those gas stations in the midwest gas gouging
yesterday....as you pointed out, in New York people have been coming
forward to give things away, either to victims or to the rescuers...

I even contacted the AKC today to see if they knew of any efforts
underway to render assistance to all the rescue dogs and their handlers
working the WTC rubble...this morning WCBS-TV showed one handler with his
dog, and it was obvious that both were exhausted, already having worked
12 hours straight without a break....they said that only the dogs were
successful in finding live victims, their other equipment wasn't working
for that...

And everyone is donating food and water for the human workers, I just
figured that the dogs could stand to have donations of food and water,
too....unfortunately the response I got from the AKC was 'we don't know
of anything like that happening, but it sounds like a great idea, let us
know if you get something organized'...heck, that's why I contacted
THEM...

>The nine emergency workers found alive is such good news but I want
>them to hurry because what is someone is in there bleeding, etc.

They're going as fast as they can, because it is still dangerous to be in
the area...and as they move rubble, it becomes more unstable....

>No more expected to be found alive at the Pentagon.

Nor at the WTC, it was announced tonight...

June

Check out Alternative Kite Radio at
http://www.altkiteradio.trancetechno.com

Alternative Kite Radio (low-bandwidth)
Alternative Kite Radio (high-bandwidth)
Alternative Kite Summer Beachparty Radio (it's always summer somewhere)
Alternative Kite Holiday Radio (everyday's a holiday)

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance-not soap-boxing-please!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'-with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds-is used politically by different groups with