-Caveat Lector-

On 19 Nov 01, at 1:51, dig  Lola Fox wrote:

> << As a nation becomes paganized, it becomes more corrupt, the people
> become
> more decadent and unjust, and ends up destroying itself from the inside
> and
> then gobbled up by it's enemies.  Can't think of one exception >>
>

> Good god.  This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

The first statement reads very much like the description of
Germany and the problems it was facing between the wars.

The problem remains the same: take an ideology and impose it
upon the subjects, serfs, whathaveyou, and when it fails to meet
expectations the disappointed entity (religion in this case) has to
find a scapegoat ... an interesting read is *Constantine's Sword* in
which the author describes the various problems and solutions the
religious entities in Europe faced when trying to establish its
Empire.

And before anyone claims religion never sought to impose itself on
any masses of people in an imperialist fashion, don't forget the
Holy Roman Empire and the existence of the Vatican as a "state"
with a purpose.  We just had two young women release by the
Talebaniaqs who were detained for being a part of this imperial
force, even in our modern times.

Yes, ol' Constantine, faced with vanquishing or being vanquished,
being guided by a vision of a sword on a stick ... er ... cross.

A<>E<>R