-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Afghanistan: A MILITARY Man's Perspective
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 23:21:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Harel Barzilai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Warm-up quote:

"Do you want to know the cause of the war?" asked Henry Ford.
"It is capitalism, greed, and dirty hunger for dollars.... Take
away the capitalist, and you will sweep war from the earth." --Henry
Ford

[It's not polite to criticize that sacred cow of course, but this
is quoting Henry Ford, one of the biggest capitalists of all time,
he should know. Also I would modify that; the need is to take away
not only Capitalism , but also any other economic system (Communism,
Feudalism, etc) based on unequal power, to allow for a peaceful
world, based on Economic Democracy; without that, we'll never get
political democracy, just the same "one dollar equals on vote"

economic and political system we have today]

AND THE MAIN QUOTE BELOW, RELEVANT TO THE CURRENT SITUATION:

If the quote from Henry Ford was surprising, here's one by one of
our country's most highly decorated military men..  ("In short, I
was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism" and more)

==============================

Short excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933, by Major General
Smedley Butler, USMC, one of the most highly decorated: General
Butler was TWICE awarded the Medal of Honor (1914, 1917).  General
Douglas MacArthur described Butler as "one of the really great
generals in American history. Here's what Butler said later in his
life:

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as
something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only
a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for
the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

"I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else.
If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble
with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over
here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent.
Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

"I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy
investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should
fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the
Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

"There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang
is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its
"muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men"

to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss"

Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

"It may seem odd for me, a military man, to adopt such a comparison.

Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four
months in active military service as a member of this country's
most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all
commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And
during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class
muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers.
In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

"I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure
of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never
had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties
remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of
higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

"I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil
interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for
the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in
the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the
benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I
helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of
Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?).
I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar
interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard
Oil went its way unmolested.

"During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say,
a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given
Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his
racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

* * *

Those who are ignorant of history are destined to repeat it; and
leaders who WANT to repeat history, are destined to want to keep
this kind of information out of the schools' history textbooks of
course.. Enough said about the Afghan war and the Caspian oil
connection...

--

http://www.truth-now.com/img/boondocks011004.gif
http://www.truth-now.com/img/thismodernworld1.gif