-Caveat Lector-

Subj:    BuzzFlash Interviews Paul Begala (Part Two)
Date:   4/1/02 11:51:31 AM Central Standard Time

BuzzFlash Interviews Paul Begala (Part Two)

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/2002/03/29_Paul_Begala.html

For Part One of the BuzzFlash Interview with Paul Begala, visit:

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/2002/03/27_Paul_Begala.html

March 29, 2002

A BUZZFLASH INTERVIEW WITH FAMED DEMOCRATIC POLITICAL STRATEGIST PAUL BEGALA

Paul Begala is famous as a key architect of the Clinton war room strategy.
Most
recently, he and sidekick James Carville (now dueling partners on CNN's
"Crossfire") authored "Buck Up, Suck Up and Come Back When You Foul Up."

Click here to purchase: http://www.buzzflash.com/premiums/Buck_Up_Suck_Up.html

BuzzFlash interviewed Begala about the key strategy recommendations in "Buck
Up,
Suck Up" -- and, of course, about all things political.

* * *

PART TWO

BUZZFLASH: We still haven't found, or the government claims they haven't
found,
the presumed perpetrator of the anthrax attack. Of course, there have been
strong indications that it is someone who is deeply involved in military
biological weapons research and that the FBI may be going slow about the
whole
thing because it's sort of too close to home. This is clearly a domestic
terrorist, not a foreign terrorist.

PAUL BEGALA: I think so, according to the press leak.

BUZZFLASH: But in any case, as you said, Senator Daschle was the subject of
the
most treacherous mailing and his staff was exposed to anthrax. And yet, as
you
say, the Bush administration gave the thumbs up to ruthlessly -- and if it
weren't politics, libelously -- attack him in his home state without any
compunction. And I think sometimes the Democrats are just sort of taken aback
by
this. They don't quite know how to react because it's so distasteful to them.
And yet we know negative campaigning works in many cases.

PAUL BEGALA: The reason that they raise all this kind of nonsense -- they
impugn
our patriotism and such -- is they know they can't win on the merits and on
the
ideas. Therefore, that is where we should take the argument. Clinton was not
"so is your mother" kind of politician. He didn't stand out and say Henry
Hyde
cheated on his wife. Guess what? Henry Hyde cheated on his wife. But Clinton
never went there. He was smart to never go there.

Where we ought to take it to is not their lives, but the American people's
lives. We ought to point out that the Republicans have stolen $2 trillion out
of
Social Security surplus and given it to Ken Lay and the rest of their
cronies.
We ought to point out that the economic stimulus bill that Bush wrote had a
secret quarter of a billion dollar bailout in it for Enron. And so thank God
for
Tom Daschle and the Senate for killing it.

We ought to point out that in Bush's prescription drug plan, you don't get
any
prescription drug help if you're a senior citizen who lives on more than the
kingly sum of $17,000 a year. So that in George Bush's America, if you're an
old
couple, retired, living on $17,000 a year, you're so rich you can't get
prescription drug help. But if you're an Enron executive living on $17
million a
year, you're so poor that you get a tax cut and a bailout. That's obscene.
That's what we ought to be doing. We ought to be on the floor of the Senate
and
the floor of the House, you know, and the street corners every day, shouting
these things out. That's what'll beat 'em.

(more)

Part Two of the BuzzFlash interview with Paul Begala:

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/2002/03/29_Paul_Begala.html

Part One of the BuzzFlash interview with Paul Begala:

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/2002/03/27_Paul_Begala.html

Support Independent News Media!

Help Keep BuzzFlash Buzz'n!

http://www.buzzflash.com/premiums/