-Caveat Lector-

thew wrote:

> -Caveat Lector- If you run for gov. against Jeb Bush
>
> TAKE THE TRAIN – FOR GOD’S SAKE – TAKE THE TRAIN

Then again, maybe not...

F.B.I. Issues a Terror Warning, Citing Possible Threat to Trains

October 25, 2002
By JOEL BRINKLEY

WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 - The F.B.I. issued a warning this
evening that Al Qaeda may be planning to attack passenger
trains, "possibly using operatives who have a Western
appearance."

The public warning, the second from the government in the
last two weeks, was based on interviews in mid-October of
Qaeda followers in custody in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the
bureau said.

The statement said the intelligence had not given details
about the method, place or timing of a possible attack. As
a result, the government has decided not to raise the
national threat level, which remains "elevated," or
"yellow."

Still, while the bureau has passed dozens of threat
warnings to law enforcement agencies since Sept. 11, 2001,
officials said, the government issued public warnings like
this one only six times before today.

Officials said the decision was made to issue a public
warning because the intelligence was specific - at least in
terms of the possible target - and because they hoped that
railroad workers and travelers would look out for
suspicious people or activities.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation statement said:
"Additional information suggests operatives may try a
variety of other attack strategies, such as destroying key
rail bridges and sections of track to cause derailments, or
targeting hazardous material containers. Recently captured
Al Qaeda photographs of U.S. railroad engines, cars and
crossings heightens the intelligence community's concern of
this threat."

There was no indication whether the threat involved
commuter or long distance trains, or both.

Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the White House Office of
Homeland Security, said the administration wanted to urge
Americans to "continue to ride our nation's rails."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/politics/25ALER.html?ex=1036651968&ei=1&en=aecfc7b678ecb3e0

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>