In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:42 +0200, "Nadav
Har'El" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

nyh> I didn't comment on scons because I never heard of it, or saw any
nyh> free software using it.

http://www.scons.org/refer.php (and I haven't added my own projects
yet, because they're still to be released).

nyh> Does using SCons require the end-user (who does the installation)
nyh> to install both Python and SCons, or are these tools only
nyh> necessary for the developers? If the installer requires Python
nyh> and SCons, isn't this a problem for portability?

I think the SCons modules (it's basically just a bunch of python
modules and a couple of wrapper python scripts) themselves can be
built in to the project, but python needs to be installed.  However,
considering the spread of python, I'm not sure it's that much of a
problem, and it poses less portability problems than sh, the sh
builtins and common Unix utilities and make.  Python is ported to many
platforms (including VMS, which I view as a proof of portability).

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis