Anthony Thyssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Actually I have been through this problem myself, with gnome
> applications.
>
> The solution is a small app called..  xwit
>   xwit -- window interface tool: pop, resize, position, or iconify windows

Yes, i've tried this as well (using the scripts you posted here on
Mon, 23 May 2005).

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the main problem. Your example:

> =======8<--------
> firefox -geometry 820x1000+530+70 &
> if id=`xwin_find 240 ".* Mozilla Firefox"`; then
>   xwit -iconify -id $id
> fi &
> =======8<--------

Firefox does not honour the -geometry at all. As a result, I get the
manual placement lines on the screen and I must place (and resize) it
first before anything else can happen.

What I would like to have (ideally) is a wrapper program that can be
run with:

that starts <program>, waits for its request to map the main window,
and then applies the desired <geomery> for it.

I think ctwm could handle this easily, if there was a way to inform
ctwm about the requested geometry information.

-- Johan