Anthony Thyssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I opted not to go that way because.  I did not want to be dependant on
> the gnome session manager.

I do not feel dependant on the Gnome session manager. In fact, I
merely ignore it. But the people that created this Fedora did their
bests to create a consistent and good working setup. Many components
play a role in this -- the Console Kit, the session manager, the
settings daemon, the panel, and several applets. By replacing the only
component I didn't like -- the window manager -- by a WM of my choice
I try to get the best of both worlds.

> Actually the 'multi-OS gnome' method works well, until you want to run
> your home from two OS's simultaniously, either via a virtual machine,
> or shared home environment.  It is imposible to have two sets of gnome
> 'dot' directories available

Yes, that's one of the major Gnome drawbacks. It's configuration is
anchored in stone and it is very hard to modify it programmatically.
In my setup (both the old Ctwm setup and the new OpenBox setup) I make
use of the fact that I can tell them where to get the config files
from, so I can create dedicated config files from a more generic
source (ctwmrc + m4, etc.).

> I noticed after writing you refered to 'devilspie' Looks like the
> next step in the 'xwit' methods. Though I am not certain I want it
> to continue to run after the initial configuration is complete.

I fully agree. What I would love to see is a small and simple app that
I can use like this, in a failsafe manner:

   placewin -geometry 200x300+30+70 \
        -workspace Local3 \
        arbitrary_command_opening_a_window

Also, I'm convinced that at least the geometry part can be dealt with
in the GTK libs, generically and universally. I still would like to
know why the GTK people refuse to do so.

> | No, but devilspie does. This is my jpilot.ds:
> can workspaces have names other than some number?

Not that I know. The info is obtainable from the wm, so it should be
possible to add this to devilspie.

-- Johan