Aaron Sloman wrote

> The 'other things' (alas I can't remember exactly what they were)
> may have something to do with running a 'session manager'. I did not
> understand enough to pin down the problem and try to fix it
>
> I think some of the problems were concerned with sound, especially
> use of 'pulseaudio'. I've just noticed that the lack of session
> manager is mentioned by another convert to OpenBox from CTWM:

As far as I understand, a session manager ist just for saving the
state of a desktop as session and restore it when loggin back in?
For that there is a session manager called "xsm" that comes
with xorg. I guess it's very simple but maybe exactly what is needed
for ctwm. But I haven't tried it.

> If someone is able to modernise CTWM I would happily switch back.
> Unfortunately I cannot contribute, except as a tester (if given
> precise instructions about how to get a test version running).

Maybe the possibility to run compiz in addition may help? You can
at least get this funny stuff like animations for opening and
closing windows etc. I'm not sure what other kind of functionality
compiz can offer.

cu,
Frank

--