My reply didn't go to the list the first time...

I changed my LANG setting from en_US.UTF-8 to C and now everything works
correctly.  I'm not well-versed enough in what the LANG variable does to
know how that affected things -- I'll have to research some.  I'll also
have to test and see if using one of the iso8859's might be safe...

Thank you very much!

--
-M

Rident stolidi verba Latina.