Mark Carroll <m...@ixod.org> wrote:

> I don't know if it is easy to just push the code to GitHub or Google
> Code or something and let some third party worry about the hosting. A
> lack of any actual developers is a bigger problem, if that's the case.
> (Unfortunately I've never programmed directly for X and rarely touch C,
> so I'm no use.)

Me too. Though I hope it's kept alive somehow.
I am willing to test changes (as a fedora user).

> As it is, I've tried things like XFCE4 and Sawfish and whatnot over the
> years and always come back to ctwm as doing exactly what I want.

I've also tried various alternatives and always come back to ctwm as being the
most easily tailorable to meet my needs. (Currently running Fedora 18 and 19 on
laptop and desktop respectively, using XFCE live CD to get started then
complete the install over the internet.)

I make a lot of use of virtual desktops (12 at present) and CTWM seems to
make it easiest to cycle through them in either direction, with automatic
'wrap' at the end, in either direction.

Tiled window managers do not tempt me at all. I often need overlaps, e.g.
using a text editor to give commands that generate a graphical display in
a bigger window that partly overlaps the text window, with previous commands
scrolling up partly hidden by the graphical window. I also often use a window
part of which is pushed beyond an edge of the display, which CTWM allows by
default but not all WMs.

Most of the WMs I've tried make it hard to allow focus to follow mouse without
raising the window with input focus. (OpenBox is one of the few I've tried that
meet this requirement.)

Some of them grab control of function keys (e.g. forcing F1 to be a help key)
that I want to use for other purposes. Ctwm gives the user control.

The next best thing I've tried is Openbox, though it's barely tolerable for me
(no menus for left or middle mouse buttons, for example).

On startup my .xinitrc file uses xmodmap to swap caps-lock and CTRL, and swap
ESC and Grave (top left) because I use CTRL and ESC constantly when editing.
I've recently found that some web actions (perhaps some videos) disable those
settings, but ctwm  made it easy for me to set up a mouse action to reset them
quickly.

I was very grateful to find that someone had built a ctwm rpm for fedora,
    ctwm-3.8.1-3.1.x86_64

My thanks to all who contribute to keeping Ctwm working.

Aaron Sloman
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs